Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 03:22 AM

Default BisonBison\'s Player Notes File

Okay, so many of us have imported bisonbison's player notes file into PokerTracker. We have all of these nifty acronyms for every player we've logged a significant number of hands with, along with other pertinent info from PT (VP$IP, PFR, AF etc.).

My question is:

Is there a general strategy that any of you apply to a player for whom you've got bisonbison's notes, put no other specific data?

For example, would a sLA-P be more likely to be raising 77 preflop and folding by the turn if he doesn't hit and is shown aggression?

Or is a TP-P more likely to be raising preflop with AA/KK only? A LA-A (lah lah lah lah) more likely to 3-bet middle pair on the flop?

This is only the beginning, but what are all y'all dern thoughts?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: BisonBison\'s Player Notes File

My thought is that all of this stat fetishization is a big reason why most of you SS forum guys don't have better results.

Worry about playing better and characterizing players on what lines they tend to employ postflop instead of trying to get needlessly high resolution on their preflop play and fuzzy "aggression" levels on their postflop play.

scrub
Old 11-11-2004, 10:26 PM

I like to use the advanced notes export from PT... I find it very useful to be able to look quickly to see his PFR, VPIP, as well as AF on each street and when folds on each street. From that you can usually think of what line he'll likely take with a given range of hands. Then you can try to adjust your play accordingly
Old 11-11-2004, 11:03 PM

Bison's autorate notes are a nice way to get a snap shot of a player, but use advanced export and you'll have a much better one.

Here's what I use, which I like a lot for 6 max, as how people play out of the blinds is really helpful. This is what it looks like in PokerStars's (Pokerstars'?) format:

{{Hands:: 333 - DESC: LA/A - VP$IP: 24 - PFR: 100
fld sb stl: 100 - fld bb stl: 100 - Steal Blds: 100 - VPIP-SB: 100
BB/100: 100 - CCPF%: 100 - W$SD-BR: 100 - W$SD-C: 100}}

This is just the example that PT uses, but if I did have 333 hands on somebody, I'll trust the numbers more than the "desc". If I've only got 30 or so, I might tend more towards the "desc".

The one thing that advanced export does to me is that I don't use much manual notes at all. Again, I can get away with that at 6 max because you see so many more hands, I can commit more actions and styles to memory. (but right now I'm only playing 2 tables, as I add tables, that might change).
Old 11-11-2004, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thought is that all of this stat fetishization is a big reason why most of you SS forum guys don't have better results.

Worry about playing better and characterizing players on what lines they tend to employ postflop instead of trying to get needlessly high resolution on their preflop play and fuzzy "aggression" levels on their postflop play.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen!
Old 11-12-2004, 01:05 AM

I agree.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:25 AM

What happens when 'stat guys' play live poker? Can they??
Old 11-12-2004, 02:36 AM

Since my last post wasn't particularly constructive:

For what it's worth, I think manual notes are much more useful than PT notes.

I used to advance export a bunch of stats, but the the only ones I found were useful were VPIP and FBB (this is mostly useful in 6max--if I'm getting enough steal chances to care in a full game, I look for another game). A few of the stats in Dids's output are pretty useless--particularly stats like BB/100 that take forever to converge. The odds are your PT database doesn't have enough hands on you for your BB/100 to be particularly meaningful, let alone some guy you've played with a few times.

The last time I changed games, I didn't auto-export my stats for that game into my poker client, and I haven't missed them.

I find that players tend to follow relatively consistent patterns after the flop, and noting what lines people employ in a number of common situations makes it much easier to play against them.

Here are a few things I'm sure to note:

(1) The guy sucks (and/or is Evan). He gets a F**ktard note.

(2) I see him call a LP raise out of the blind with some nonsense hand that he turns over at the end. He gets a "loose out of the blind (hand I saw)" note.

(3) He goes insane against steal raises or from the button against cutoff raises. He gets a "maniacal in blind/button defense" note.

(4) He calls on the flop if he's called preflop. He gets a "loose on flop" note.

(5) He has the capacity to turn checkraise bluff. "turn CR bluff"

(6) He call/bets turn as a bluff from EP against a PFR, particularly in the face of a scare card.

(7) I note how I've seen him play flopped open trips.

(8) I note how I've seen him play his flush draws.

(9) I note what sort of hands he's 3-bet with preflop.

(10) I note what sorts of hands he's raised UTG.

(11) I note what sorts of hands he's bet into a PFR on the flop from EP with.

(12) I note what sorts of hands he's checkraised a PFR on the flop with HU.

(13) I note if he's the sort of player who waits until the turn to raise hands like decent top pair in heads up pots v. a light raiser. If he is, particularly if he's also capable of bluffing the turn, I'm less inclined to bet turns with unimproved AK and its ilk than I am against players who will call the flop with anything and don't checkraise the turn.

Anyway, those are a few I thought of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others I write down when I see them.

I've had time to write down all of this stuff while quad-tabling 6max, and I suck at clicking, so it's not like the vast majority of players don't have time to pay attention to this stuff.

Anyway, hope that's helpful.

scrub
Old 11-12-2004, 03:35 AM

I combine the export notes with my own notes as well, and I have no clue why people would do anything besides this. Excluding one or the other is just giving away EV.
-James
Old 11-12-2004, 03:38 AM

What happens when 'stat guys' play live poker? Can they??

Of course they can. The fact that they can only play 1 table at a time at half the speed of one online table gives them time to adjust. But applying reads is a difficult skill, so people who neglect their reads in their daily play are going to be at a disadvantage.