Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Coincidence, Improbabilities and an actual question.

So I wasn't really planning on playing but I looked in on stars and found two really nice tables (in the midmorning!) so I jumped in.

We've all seen the improbable things--getting the same pocket pair 4 times in an orbit and a half springs to mind, but it still makes you go wow sometimes doesn't it? Anyway I had these two hands right in a row:

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, MP1 calls, Button folds.

River: (6 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, MP1 calls.

<font color="blue"> too bad that club didn't make a flush for anybody. </font>

Final Pot: 8 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 9h Qs (full house, queens full of nines).
MP1 shows 4d 4h (two pair, queens and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 8 BB. </font>

Ok my very next hand on my other table was this one:

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, BB folds, MP2 raises, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 bets, Hero raises, MP2 3-bets, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 bets, Hero raises, MP2 3-bets, Hero caps, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qs 2s (full house, queens full of twos).
MP2 shows 8s 8h (full house, eights full of queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 17.50 BB. </font>

2 blind hands in a rwo, 2 Q-x's, 2 boats. I wonder what the odds are.

As if that wasn't enough, on my very first hand of the session--a mere 12 hands before the first one above, I posted in the Co, was dealt Q-10. Made trip tens on the turn and got a ton of action from the man with the Q-4s. The Q-x's were pretty nice to me today.

So anyway, aside from marveling at the sheer imporbability, the question is really this. I walked away from this session after a mere 49 hands up 26.25 BB's. (For those of you keeping score at home a whopping 53.57 BB's per hundred [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. The cards were really hitting me in the face. (Another notable hand, K-10suited late in a big multiway pot--flop K-x-x with the two X's being my suit--missed the flush but my King's were good anyway).

But I sat down only because the tables looked really good and within a couple of orbits they weren't so good--not sucky, just not as nice. So I packed it in after 49 hands which is far and away the shortest session I've ever played. Ever.

So whatcha think of walking away from games that don't suck when the poker gods seem to be just heaping manna on you? Crazy? Smart? Totally indifferent?

--Zetack