Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 02:52 PM

Default As you know, I\'m a calling station.. Hand Vs. Roland.

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Roland: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Beer: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
RunningBad: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (9.00 SB)

Roland: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Beer: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
RunningBad: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (4.50 BB)

Roland: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Beer: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
RunningBad: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (4.50 BB)

Roland: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Beer: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
RunningBad: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

River - (7.50 BB)

Roland: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks
Beer: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (7.50 BB)

Well, this is post #2100 for BeerMoney. I think you're supposed to make these posts at 2000 or something, or when you're a poohbah, but I'm making mine now. We all understand I try to be different. Like Mr. Roland, I started out playing micro limits about this time last year. Although I started in hold 'em. Worked my way up to 2/4 HE, then moved over to 3/6 stud. I was often frustrated with the .5/1 tables, so I stayed away from them and built my bankroll playing hold 'em. I decided stud would be the game for me because I feel like I can understand how my hand will play in certain situations more than my opponents, and it is not something that could be taught in a book. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's why I wanted to play stud. I also chose stud cause the pots are huge, and I have something of a gambling problem. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Upon joining the 3/6 tables, I found out who michael emery played as when viewing the internet forum. I dropped him a line, and mike said "holy crap, you're douchedog, I had you pegged as one of the better players at the 3/6 tables." Well, as we all know by now, mike likes to give us a false sense of confidence, but I fell for it. Nevertheless, I started reading the stud forum more, and eventually started taking shots at 5/10.

Like every "shot" I've taken, I was quickly bitch slapped back down to my previous stakes. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to stop limping with garbage, like potential big hands cause I wasn't getting the implied odds, and wasn't going to get paid off when I hit a paired door card like I was at 3/6.

So, after reading the posts of Mike Emery,an already succesful 5/10 player, and Jon 1Van a new player like myself, I learned how to truly play tight in a structure that demanded such play.

From there, I took a shot at 10/20, and once again, got hammered back down after losing 1000+ in a coupla nights, and basically ruined my x-mas break. Repeat procedure, go back to 5/10, actually rebuilt my roll playing NLHE MTT's, and gave it another shot. Now, I actually learned how to play tight!! This time I successfully entered 10/20.

So, here I am.. A marginal winner at the 10/20 game 1 year later, after starting at micro limits. I still have a lot to learn, and that's what makes poker so great. Knowing that in 1 year from now, I will look back and think about how much I sucked now, and how much I've learned.

Like Beta, I'm gonna take a few days to clear my head. I am weak psychologically right now, and need to change that.

I would like to thank these posters in particular for all of their help:

Mike Emery: Thanks for all the strategy help, but in particular the psychological help. You more than anyone have made me the player I am today.

Andy B: 'Nuff Said. We all know what this guy's done for our games. I owe you a beer if we meet up sometime.

Jon1van: Thanks for drawing attention to particular sections of 7CSFAP.

Roland: Thanks for showing me what it really means to play tight..

lstream: You da man! U keep poker fun for me.

And the rest of the forum of course. I hope you all enjoy my hand posts, and weren't bored with this post.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: As you know, I\'m a calling station.. Hand Vs. Roland.

Roland is total tightass as we all know. Given that he probably has the jacks, you're going up against him as a 45/55 underdog. Its really worse though. One thing that sucks for you is Roland is also a keen little girl. Hes smart enough to reason you very well have an ace underneath here. If you hit an ace on a later street he'll just usually check behind if you try to check-raise him, where as you could trick a lesser player. Therefore you must extract money from some other source this hand. If "Mr.runningbad" or other players behind you are in the "playing any 3 mood", you just might have your source to pad the pot and make your hand playable.

Mike Emery

P.S. I'm glad to see Roland actually won one against you. You've bad beat him enough lately. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. I'm glad to see Roland actually won one against you. You've bad beat him enough lately. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think he won?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Results

MHIG, Roland's a big bluffer.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:56 PM

Hey, good post. Hopefully someday, you'll be taking my money at the 10/20 tables...see ya soon.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:07 PM

I haven't looked at the other responses, and I also haven't played with Roland much (so if he posts better than he plays, I may be giving him too much credit [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) or RunningBad at all. This is another reason I like descriptions instead of screen names.

3rd seems like a fold or 3-bet. If your 2 flush was really live maybe you don't mind playing multiway. Seems to me like Roland plays pretty snug, and he's completing first to act, so I'd just fold most likely. It IS nice that your pairing cards are 100% live.

On 4th after the other guys check, did you consider betting? Hard to put RunningBad on a hand here. But again I prefer this hand with less players, and you don't even cry much if you get checkraised. I sometimes play too passively on a street immediately after I make a call that I regret, this sorta looks like what you're up to here.

Given that you were probably worried about being checkraised on 4th, no need to bet 5th IMHO. Rough that the guy went from first to last betting position.

By 6th it looks like noone was really sandbagging, and the guys behind you didn't catch anything scary. Meanwhile your hand is almost certainly worth a call headsup vs Roland. So the question is whether there is any point to raising. You do want the guys behind you out still I think, and raising here probably gets you a free showdown on river (with chance to get extra bet if you hit good), but again I'm giving Roland enough credit that a free showdown with just a pair of 9s seems pointless, so I think calling is probably the way to go.

7th seems clear.

I enjoyed The Story of BeerMoney. Just remember that the swings in poker are large. I've been playing as my only income for 6 years now, and I still never cease to be amazed occasionally with the swings I go through. Definitely be willing to take breaks when running bad; I'm a big fan of this and I really think it helps. Also, don't play so much that it burns you out or that you get bored. I've had a lot of friends take up the game, start winning like crazy, start playing 80 hours a week and never taking breaks, and they invariably go into big slides. Internet poker is a double edged sword in this respect, it's easy to play too much, but it's also easy to play in short bursts that don't wear you out. I used to often play for 15 minutes, take one bad beat or just decide I wasn't in the mood, and I'd just go to the gym or something. Anyway I'm rambling.

The point is, for me at least, it was much easier to learn enough strategy to beat mid-limit games than it was to learn discipline, tilt prevention and how to always play my best.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:08 PM

I can't believe you won, but it certainly adds credence to the theory that if you play you should be more aggressive...
Old 07-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Results

Is this one of those "roland knows that I know he is tight and I know that he knows that I know that situations"
Old 07-07-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point is, for me at least, it was much easier to learn enough strategy to beat mid-limit games than it was to learn discipline, tilt prevention and how to always play my best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Crap, Understatment of the year here.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:15 PM

Bart,

Thank you for the lengthy response. Your opinions and thoughts are appreciated.

Just to clear something up, RunningBad was supposed to be a description, it is not the players screen name. He was a solid player who had been having a tough night, and I sensed he was tilting. (I almost came over the top of him with a pair of sixes and a 3 kicker when he raised his K UTG.) I also feel these plays work better for a player capable of folding the river for 1 bet, but I am rarely so confident in a read. I suppose if I bet into my opponent on fifth and he calls, i can assume he has something...

One thing that I'm starting to question a little bit more though is the "get it heads up" philosophy of 7CSFAP in applying it to 10/20 online which has a $1 ante and a $3 BI. I just don't think the math really works out in this strucute. I feel like with this tight ante structure, I don't want to be making these kinds of plays against someone like Roland who is going to have what he is representing 85% of the time, 10% of the time has something better, and 5% of the time has something close.

I'm going to start spending more time each day working out some simulations and doing the math for the EV of each situation.