Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 08:51 AM

Default OESD, overcards, and reads. Did I overthink this?

Button in this hand sees around 40% of flops, and loves to bluff at scary rivers. However, ~2 hands ago I called his bluff HU on a 4 flush board with unimproved KK and took down the pot. He definitely is paying attention enough to remember who I am. On the turn, CO has 1.5 BB left, and as far as I know is generally very passive. How's my turn play?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Since CO is passive I'm sure I'm behind here. But when he slows down, I'm pretty sure he's scared of what I'm holding.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> ...

At this point, CO has 1.5 BBs left. I'm pretty sure he'll call if I bet, and he'll bet if checked too.

I figure if a bet is going in on the turn anyway, I might as well put it in myself to try to fold out the button and buy some outs. I know the button respects my bets / raises, but I have no idea how he feels about the CO.

Did I overthink this play?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: OESD, overcards, and reads. Did I overthink this?

I'd like it better if you were HU with the short stack.

Since button coldcalled the flop, I wouldn't 3-bet CO's raise because I'd rather check/call than bet a turn brick into 2 opponents with a drawing hand OOP. Once you 3-bet, you're pretty much committed to leading the turn since checking would be kinda gay.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:06 AM

I like it.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:24 AM

i think you played it fine because you'll be betting out almost any card that comes anyways. and you have the nut flush draw if a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] falls.

what exactly isn't a turn blank here? the only card i'm nervous to see actually is my Q since it puts 4 to a straight and i have to river a K to win.

you have 8 outs to improve if he makes trips or 2 pair on the turn anyways, so you can easily check/fold the river UI if raised here.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like it better if you were HU with the short stack.

Since button coldcalled the flop, I wouldn't 3-bet CO's raise because I'd rather check/call than bet a turn brick into 2 opponents with a drawing hand OOP. Once you 3-bet, you're pretty much committed to leading the turn since checking would be kinda gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You overplayed this.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Since button coldcalled the flop, I wouldn't 3-bet CO's raise because I'd rather check/call than bet a turn brick into 2 opponents with a drawing hand OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your line actually. The original reason I 3bet was because I figured I had 8 outs for a straight + ~2 outs for my overcards + 1.5 for the backdoor flush. The 3 bet was supposed to be for value. I know this puts me in a bad place oop on the turn, but I figured it was more important to put value bets in on the flop with a strong draw. Does anyone think I'm being too optimistic when counting outs?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:14 PM

Yes, you overthunk it, because even passive players will bet like maniacs when they're short-stacked.

Because you only have the one-card straight, I think I'd like it more if you just called this flop raise and checked the turn. You don't have good implied odds when your opponent is out of chips.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:37 PM

I think you're right to bet, here. Having pressed the flop OOP like you did, not betting screams, "I'm on a draw," and you're getting bet into. Perhaps betting out yourself will keep it to one bet on the turn.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I figured I had 8 outs for a straight + ~2 outs for my overcards + 1.5 for the backdoor flush. The 3 bet was supposed to be for value. I know this puts me in a bad place oop on the turn, but I figured it was more important to put value bets in on the flop with a strong draw. Does anyone think I'm being too optimistic when counting outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

A little optimistic. I don't think you can count all 8 straight outs since you may be playing for a tie if someone else has a queen. Your Q overcards are not very good because it would put a 4-straight on the board and you A overcards are probably weak as well with the possibility of reverse domination. Both overcards are also weakened by the broadway-heavy board which is much more likely than rags to hit someone with 2 pair or more.

Given that and the fact that your implied odds are reduced by CO's short stack, I would just call the flop raise, check/call the turn, and check/fold the river UI.