Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Suggestions for my first trip to Foxwoods?

This was my first time playing the 5 game in over a year. I took the seat because the wait for the 10 game was too long. That said, be advised that this was one night and I haven't played the game recently so I don't know if it was typical or just the full moon effect [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I wasn't kidding when I said the game played like a play money game. I sat at two different tables between 8:00 pm and 6:00 am. Each was loose and passive - 7 players to most flops, three to showdown. All kinds of trash hands being played for two or three bets pf.

At first I was a little disappointed that the game was so soft, that the players were so poor. The kill had little to do with it. It was like they were saying, "Ah well, it's only two more chips to call..." Once I adjusted my gameplan it was better. Big pairs and TP hands were low value. Small pairs and suited connectors were pure gold. There were swings (I saw one older woman win a massive pot with 32o, which she played for a pf raise in a kill pot - she cold called with that monster!) but by and large these players just chased and chased. Play ABC poker, make value bets, read your opponents, and hope for the best hand.

Given that they'll get lucky on occassion (like Ms. 32o), you'll have streaky sessions. I was actually down for the night, myself. No big deal. I played well, in my opinion, just couldn't find a way to flop many sets and turn many boats!

I haven't played the 4 game there in quite a while. I recall that it played about the same as this recent experience with the 5 game though. Just different color chips....

As for the 10 game, if you have sufficient BR (which I assume you do, since the 5/10 kill game seems to play ~60% of the time at the 10/20 level), the 10 game plays like the 2/4 or 3/6 online games, IMO. In fact, I think the 3/6 Party game plays tougher than the FW 10 game, most of the time.

Bottom line is that swings happen, especially when most pots are multiway and your opponents are clueless. You should beat this game, but it takes patience and good ABC poker to do so.

It comes down to bankroll. If you can comfortably play the 10/20 game, give it a shot. If you're playing with short money, though, you'll have a tendency to play scared.

Just my thoughts... interested to hear others'.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:25 PM

I'm a novice B&M player and don't play online. I've made 4 trips to Foxwoods, each time at a different limit, and have won every time. I don't think that I'm particularly good or lucky. Tight, Aggressive will win the money.

2/4 - Table was tight, weak. +75

5/10 Kill - Some tight players, but mainly maniacs. + 330

10/20 - Loose, passive +385 (only played 1 hour)

4/8 - Loose, passive with a couple of sharks. + 120

I guess it's the luck of the draw, but believe it or not, the toughest game I played was the 2/4. The 5/10 Kill was the wildest, with a couple of guys losing over a grand each (and bragging about it). The easiest game was the 10/20.

Waiting times have gotten worse each time. That's why I went down to the 4/8 after successfully playing the 10/20. I waited for 10/20 for almost 3 hours before taking the 4/8 seat.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:00 PM

Agreed. Was able to beat 2-4 at Foxwoods for $100 - to approx $200 over 8-12 hours consistently on multiple differenet occasions. I am on a winning streak in 4-8 now, but have had generally lower results in total dollars to 2-4, per session. 4-8 is tougher, the tables I have seen are tighter.

My opinion
Old 03-28-2005, 06:06 PM

Snupoker is right about the next couple weeks at Foxwoods. It will be a zoo! As for game selection, $2-4 is unbeatable. $4-8 is a little better. Both games reward bad play IMO (calling stations catch often.) The no limit game is GREAT! $40-100 buy in, $1, $2 blinds. Plenty of cash to be made there on a limited budget. The best part is you can only buy-in for max $100. Good Luck!!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:51 PM

Too bad in the 100NL they stick it to you with $10/hr time charge. But I agree, the game is one of the softest I've played in.

-Josh
Old 03-28-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both games reward bad play IMO (calling stations catch often.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you may need to reevaluate your understanding of the game.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Both games reward bad play IMO (calling stations catch often.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you may need to reevaluate your understanding of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this kind of game actually sounds ideal. Thanks everyone for all the responses. I appreciate the suggestions but I can't really play no limit at all, so that's not an option. I can't afford to play higher than 4-8, but it's good to hear that there's soft games up there still. Does anyone know the actual rake at 2-4 vs 4-8? I imagine I'll just end up at which ever table I get a seat at first, but I'd like to be as prepared as possible before I head up. Thanks,

D
Old 03-29-2005, 12:06 AM

FWIW, I've been to Foxwoods 5 times, and played 4-8 each time. I've had different table dynamics each time -- sometimes there are a lot of loose passives and sometimes there are a few very aggressive players. Overall, the game is definitely beatable, especially if you understand the ideas in Small Stakes Hold Em well.

But be prepared psychologically that you may lose some or all of your $300. If you can't accept that, you will have a hard time being successful in the game. That said, it's not likely that you will be a loser in the game, only possible.

I'm averaging $300 per trip (which usually involve playing for 8-10 hours). That consists of three relatively small wins, a relatively small loss (~$200), and one huge win (>$1000). Those are the swings of the game. When I lost, I couldn't hit a flop to save my life (and managed to lose one pot when I flopped a full house -- the only time I made a set or better the whole day with a PP). When I won, I couldn't miss a flop to save my life. (I flopped trips the first hand I posted, and managed to win a $200 pot, as I soon discovered there were some very loose and very aggressive players at the table. Great times.)

I can also add that my fifth trip to Foxwoods was today (Monday). I arrived at 10:30ish AM and had no trouble getting a seat at a 4/8 table immediately. However, that may have been due to the fact that the NEC was ongoing at the time. Even so, there was open seating as late as 5:00 or 6:00 PM IIRC. Of course, a weekend night is typically going to be much busier than a weekday morning or afternoon. Also, because of the NEC, Foxwoods is using a lot of inexperienced dealers at their low limit poker tables. That might make it difficult to know what's going on, as these dealers seemed prone to make occassional minor mistakes.

Good luck with your trip! Stick to what you know already, observe your opponents, and once you get settled in, you should do just fine.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:16 AM

A few things to consider regarding 2/4 vs. 4/8.

First, the rake is the same, so effectively it costs less to play 4/8.

Second, the play at 4/8 is likely to be only marginally tougher, if at all. I would say if you can beat the Party .5/1, you can beat Foxwoods 4/8. There are a few 'live play' adjustments, recognizing player types, lower aggression level overall, etc. But it's generally a very easy game.

Third, though you will find a few better players in the 4/8 than the 2/4, there are 'meta-game' considerations that make the 4/8 an easy choice if you have $300. There are more total donks and first timers at 2/4, and more small stakes all-stars, which makes it a slow, excruciating game. The dealers at 2/4 would obviously rather be smuggling cactii in their asses through Afghan customs than dealing there. I honestly can't even sit down in that game (plus the wait is almost always longer).

I'd say at least be open to playing both with the 4/8 as your preferred game.

Also, as a side note, I see several posts in this thread about 5/10 being soft right now. I had been told to skip it in the past in favor of 10/20. Is it really good most of the time these days, with the NEPC and all? I might be on a short roll and sit in this one rather than 10/20 next week. Damn rent.

NT
Old 03-29-2005, 10:39 AM

The 5/10 game is a Kill at $100, which means that the game is 10/20 about 98% of the time. You'll be posting an extra big blind every time you win, and you'll be playing with maniacs. The 10/20 game is much more sane.