Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Suggestions for my first trip to Foxwoods?

I'm looking for any suggestions for a trip to Foxwoods I am planning soon. I've done a fair amount of searching through the archives but I'm not sure how much of that information is up to date. Here are my questions, any advice would be greatly appreciated,

1) What time / day (Friday or Sat) is the best for soft tables? Also, what kind of waiting time would I be looking at to get a seat? I would play low limit hold em.

2) Ideally, because of bankroll considerations, I would play 2-4. But I've heard that the rake at that game is almost unbeatable. Unfortunately I can't afford to bring more than 2 - 3 hundred dollars to play with in total so I hesitate to step into a 4-8 game so short stacked. Also I don't know if I can even beat 4-8. To give you some idea of my skill level: I currently beat party .50 - 1.00 at 3.5 BB / 100 over 6k hands and I feel very comfortable there. I haven't really taken a significant shot at anything higher. Advice?

3) I live in Boston and don't own a car. I'd like to get to Foxwoods in the early evening, play overnight, and leave the next morning. Suggestions for bus companies that do this cheaply? Is busing a bad idea?

Any other general comments / advice? Thanks very much,

D
Old 03-28-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Suggestions for my first trip to Foxwoods?

Trying to answer your questions best as possible: Friday or Saturday night (especially in the next few weeks) is going to be very, very busy. I suggest waiting till after the NEPC to make your first trip. That would be till the weekend of the 15th-16th of April.

As far as bankroll considerations, if you can take 300 dollars you should be fine for the 4-8 game unless you recieve a very bad string of cards, bad beats, or are just a bad player. The 2-4 is very tough to beat the rake.

However, the 4-8 games at night will be loose and crazy so dont expect to not see crazy [censored]. As far as busing, I cant help you on that one. And for a 1st time B&M player, be patient and dont expect to make the months rent on your 1st time. playing even should be considered a success while you get your bearings straight. good luck!
Old 03-28-2005, 02:52 AM

What time is best for the soft games?

Anytime between midnight and midnight.

As for $4/8 - I always buy in for $200, with a couple more for backup, but in all honesty, I've yet to have to rebuy.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:06 AM

Despite the rake, 2/4 is way beatable. It's is looser and more passive than Party .5/1. Good luck.

Bob
Old 03-28-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Boston and don't own a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Move the hell out of boston and buy a car.

That's not poker advice, that's just life advice.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:02 AM

my friend takes the bus from boston to foxwoods at least once a month to play in the 4/8 game. he said there are around 6 daily busses that run from foxwoods to boston. he usually takes the one from boston at like 4pm and leaves the next morning. if you take the bus for ~$30 they give you $10 in food comps and a keno card. enjoy your trip.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:47 AM

I take the greyhound out of South Station so I can sleep on the way back. $26 round-trip. Usually plenty of space. Make sure to get one of the schedules that only stops once (Providence) as it'll be a 2hr trip... If it stops more than once, you could be in for anywhere from 2 1/2 hours to 3 1/2 hours of bus ride. Good luck on your first trip.

-Josh
Old 03-28-2005, 10:55 AM

Just to echo what others have said, you'll find soft games anytime between now and the second coming. The wait can be a pain, but if you're able to play at different limits you'll stand a better chance of landing a seat quickly.

I played the 5 game there on Thursday night and found it to be as loose and passive as the 4 game. 6-7 players to every flop, very passive, very loose. Bear in mind that big pairs lose value in these games.

I thought the 5 game played like a 1/2 play money table. Ridiculously soft.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Suggestions for my first trip to Foxwoods?

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn around... I went on Friday to play some ACT tournaments. I put my name on the list for 5-10 HE. I was 48th of 48, and they were only running two tables. I was there for hours and the list hardly moved. And for lower limits, forget it. The line just to put your name on the list was about 25 people deep.

Now, if you want to play some softee satellites to try to win entry into the NEPC, might I suggest the ACT tournaments. The absolute softest game I've ever played in. Here's a perfect example of 70% of the people that play the ACT tourneys -

UTG raises the $100 to $200. CO re-raises all in another $1800. All fold to UTG. If he calls, he's got one BB left. He ponders for a long time and calls, flipping Q-10 off! AKs of CO held up and UTG was sent packing... I know this might be an isolated incident, but I truly believe these are the worst players on earth...

Yet I still couldn't break the top three... That might say something about me... Well, if luck weren't involved I guess I'd win every one.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:40 AM

Kilgore:

I was also play the 5-10 game last Thursday.

What's your opinion on the 5-10 game in general at FW? I find my results very streaky, especially when I'm chasing kill pots and winning non-kill pots. I either win big or lose big in this game and I'm a consistent winner in the
4-8 game.

I definitely think the kill structure in this game changes the basic theories of poker because of the luck of winning or losing a large kill pot can change your entire session outcome. I'm thinking of trying the 10-20 game to see if my session outcomes smooth out a bit.