Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 02:31 PM

Default too reckless with QQ?

I think I got too reckless with this hand. PartyPoker 5/10 9 handed

Hero is UTG

Hero raises (Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), MP1 calls, everyone else folds

5sb
FLOP: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

Hero bets, MP1 calls

3.5bb
Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero 3 bets, MP1 caps, Hero calls

was this a dumb 3 bet. The only other read I had on this player was they cold called 3 bets (3 way action) preflop with 99 then called down a board of AQK33.

11.5bb
River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)

Hero Bets, MP1 raises, Hero calls

dumb bet? dumb call? I thought the 3 pairing might have counterfieted a possible 2 pair of his (j9 sprang to mind). OK, Let me have it
Old 11-17-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: too reckless with QQ?

You are not behind too many hands here. I would play it as you are best. If I thought the other player would play AJ this agessively I would cap the river too.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:42 PM

You are most likely behind to two pair or a set. Considering your read that your opponent only overplays pocket pairs, than you have to suspect a set. If your opponent overplays hands like J7, J7s (which are relevant in this hand) than your logic of suspecting two pair is reasonable. Therefore, if your opponent is tight except for overplaying pocket pairs, suspect the set and check/call this river.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only other read I had on this player was they cold called 3 bets (3 way action) preflop with 99 then called down a board of AQK33.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously he is an idiot and could have any two pair, a set, or a straight despite the coldcall preflop.

I would probably call him down when he raises the turn. Certainly he could be playing me for a free showdown, but it is much more likely that he making an obvious raise with a monster.

Second choice would be stop-n-go after receiving a favorable/safe river.

Third choice would be to 3-bet.

Last choice would be to 3-bet and then bet the river after getting capped. That was pretty self-destructive. You'll be "lucky" if he only has a set when he caps the turn.