Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: worst beat ive ever seen

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worst I've seen was in a STT at UB. Thankfully I had folded so wasn't directly involved in the hand. (Sorry for mentioning an online event in the Home forum.)

blinds are 100/200
MP has 800 chips left and limps in with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB has 4000 chips with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
MP has a straight flush and goes all in.
BB calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB makes his higher straight flush.

River: irrelevant

That's the worst I've seen. Busted aces, trips, and full-houses and even quads can't be as agonizing as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the worst beat I've ever heard of, lol.
That beat could cost you everything you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

and that beat wouldnt even qualify for a bad beat jackpot since he only used one of his hole cards to make the higher straight flush.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-27-2005, 10:24 PM

I got knocked out of a 2000 player tourney just short of making it into the money.. I had about the avg stack. I went all in with JJ and get one caller with AQ. I have the best hand preflop, and improve it on every round, and have the lead on every round all the way to the river, where I catch quads.... and lose... not a huge beat in terms of outs (he had 7).. but pretty unlikely sequence of events to catch quads and get knocked out of a tourney..
Old 07-27-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-27-2005, 11:32 PM

not quite...
I had one pair preflop-JJ
then with a 464 flop I had 2 pair
then with a 4 on the turn I had a boat
and the 4 on the river gave me quads... and a boot out of the tourney...
Old 07-28-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had the worst of them all!

I had J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. Guy minraises, I call. Flop comes A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check he bets I push all in for 1 billion dollars cash and he calls and turns over A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Turn brings A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] but I'm not worried

River brings the last A, the mystical 2nd A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I lose with my royal flush to 5 of a kind. I MEAN WTF IS THAT

Now I'm broke [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost started to cry when I read this. I'm serious, I was shaking uncontrollably with laughter, covering my mouth so that the snorts sounded like coughs to my coworkers. Sigh... I'm such a nerd.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not quite...

[/ QUOTE ]

just so you know, nobody talks like that.

for instance, if a board reads 5569Q and you have 9K you don't say "i have two pair" even though you do... you say "i have a nine" or "i have nines" cuz its [censored] obvious you have 2 pair. in your case the Jack at the end didn't give "you" quads... it put quads on the board... it "gave you" a jack kicker.

by the way, don't complain about losing coinflips, please. before the hand it was about 55-45. and, he could have beat you on the river with a 4, ace, or queen: as you said, that's 7 outs -- far within the realm of possibility.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not quite...

[/ QUOTE ]

for instance, if a board reads 5569Q and you have 9K you don't say "i have two pair" even though you do... you say "i have a nine" or "i have nines" cuz its [censored] obvious you have 2 pair. in your case the Jack at the end didn't give "you" quads... it put quads on the board... it "gave you" a jack kicker.

by the way, don't complain about losing coinflips, please. before the hand it was about 55-45. and, he could have beat you on the river with a 4, ace, or queen: as you said, that's 7 outs -- far within the realm of possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I hate it when people are a dick about someone that posts something interesting. This guy never complained about a bad beat, he just shared an interesting riddle which stemmed from a hand he played. I really enjoyed it.

-Yarney
Old 07-28-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"people like you should be shot"

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-28-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not quite...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I hate it when people are a dick about someone that posts something interesting. This guy never complained about a bad beat, he just shared an interesting riddle which stemmed from a hand he played. I really enjoyed it.

-Yarney

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks- that was my point.. it was an unlikely sequence of events. At the time of course it was frustrating, but now it is merely interesting. And I know pre-flop it was basically a race.

My hand, strictly in terms of rank, did improve with each round. In terms of my hand vs his, I went way up on the flop, as he lost all possibility for a flush and a straight, and now 3 cards were gone. On the turn, he gained an out in the form of the final 4. And when the 4 came, it did indeed give me quads.

Just because it gave him quads too, doesn't mean it didn't give me quads. I don't understand that comment at all. Every hand you play to showdown, you are using from 3 to 5 community cards to make your hand. So the board was 44644. That gives everyone in the hand quads, even the losers like me...
Disappointing, but I'm not trying to whine about a bad beat- it is just unusual enough to lose with quads, let alone get it done to you when it counted so much.

I kicked out of a 600 person live event in 7th when some guy called my all in on the turn and hit a 2-outer on the river. Now THAT was a bad beat.... especially since he and I were virtually tied for 1st/2nd at the time.