Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Moving Up from Party $3/6 to $5/10 - Help

I searched for historical posts regarding the difference in play between Party 3/6 and 5/10, but did not find one. If there is such a post, or several posts, I would greatly appreciate any information that may help me find it (them).

Otherwise...

I have been playing Party 3/6 and doing well, and recently I tried to make the move to 5/10, and while I did well initially, I have begun to lose money.

I was hoping for some insights regarding the play at this level. I notice that there is a lot of slowplaying; is this an aberration from the norm, is it a common strategy, or is it indicative of the quality of players at that level, as they notice my aggressive play and attempt to exploit it? How much better are the players at 5/10?

Thanks for any insights.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Moving Up from Party $3/6 to $5/10 - Help

I've tried to make the jump to 5/10 twice and I have come back down to 3/6 twice. I think it is a tighter game because the fish are playing at the 6-max. Maybe I'm wrong but I can make more money at 3/6.

I'd love to hear many people tell me I'm wrong and I'll try to make the jump again.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I searched for historical posts regarding the difference in play between Party 3/6 and 5/10, but did not find one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you f*cking serious?? Hold on, I'll be back in like, one second ...

Adam
Old 03-16-2005, 01:22 AM

....here's a link to a thread just a day and a half ago. Note also that I have linked to 5 OTHER threads in the last two months.

Link with other links

Adam
Old 03-16-2005, 01:26 AM

I've just started dabbling in 5/10 full, and I've also noticed that the quality of players in general is a lot higher. You will see a lot more advanced play, and you will notice that there is usually at least 1 opponent at a table who will pick up on some of your patterns and attempt to exploit it.

So far (microscopic sample size) I've done well, but I think that has more to do with my stumbling across some very good tables. I really do think that the psychological aspect of the game comes more into play at 5/10 than at the lower levels...getting inside your opponent's head and using deception to garner additional bets (or to buy a pot).

Just my own observations from less than 1K hands at 5/10, so take them for what they're worth.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:34 AM

Nope there Adam,

I'm not fcking kidding you... but thank you very much for the posts. They were very helpful.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:32 PM

I played 3/6 at Party for about 60K hands and just recently decided to move to 5/10 (about 3K hands so far), so discount my views accordingly.

I find the players more agressive, in general. Far more preflop raises and more bluff raises and reraises. I'm getting a lot more HU play as well. So, basically, I would say the skill level is a big jump up from 3/6.

Having said that, I find the players to be far more predictable at 5/10. At 3/6 there were a lot of players who just didn't seem to know what they were doing, so it was hard to decipher their play. At 5/10 tight players are tight pretty much all the time (don't tilt as much). Agressive players almost always come out firing. Personally, I prefer people who act consistently over people who are all over the map. But you have to vary your play to take advantage of this additional knowledge, since that's the offset for the generally higher skill level.

I'll also point out that most of the table seems to be observant, which is markedly different from 3/6. As an anecdote, a couple days ago a was multi-tabling and on one table I'd build my original $250 up to $650. Most of the table simply refused to play with me and I really had to loosen my play and show down some crappy cards before I could get any action. At the very same time, at another table I had lost my original $250 had rebought another $250 and lost $150 of that. At that table, at least 3 people were directly targeting me. My blinds were always raised, my raises would often get 3 bet to isolate me, etc. It was a real eye-opener to see how many people were observing and adjusting their play accordingly.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....here's a link to a thread just a day and a half ago. Note also that I have linked to 5 OTHER threads in the last two months.

Link with other links

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it's in threaded view.

-d