Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Looking to deposit -- what site, bonus + rakebacks/rake rates?

For a relative beginner, what would be the best site to try first? I lost two $50 buy-ins a year ago playing some NL tables, one at PartyPoker, the other at PokerStars, (really) slightly out of my element at the time. I'm planning to put in $100 to play some micro-limit games. What site would you guys recommend? I plan to use this $100 as the bankroll to build up, is this too small even for the low limits (such as .05/.10)?

Also, I'm starting to look into these rakeback sites, I'm not really familiar with the concept though. You sign up through them and they give you money? Where exactly do they get their money, and how much do they take out of your money? A brief explanation would be very helpful, thanks.

Final question: when should I be investing in PokerTracker? I am very interested in picking it up, but at this point, would it be worth it? Again, thanks to everyone who helps; hope the new year is prosperous for all of us. Most of us. Okay, fine, just me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

--Rob
O(*_*)O
Old 01-04-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Looking to deposit -- what site, bonus + rakebacks/rake rates?

Welcome to 2+2. As far as where to begin--Party does not offer limits below .50/$1, so skip their site if you're looking for lower limits. Paradise offers .05/.10, although you cannot import hands into poker tracker.

I'd suggest you peruse the beginner's forum and read, read, read.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paradise offers .05/.10, although you cannot import hands into poker tracker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you can.

I think Paradise would be a good choice for .05/.10 limit. Sign up with the bonus in the classified ads section, it's a better deal than the normal bonus (though you might not be able to clear it until you move up limits).

If you can afford to spend $55, PT is a great investment, though I think a few books may be a better use of it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm starting to look into these rakeback sites, I'm not really familiar with the concept though. You sign up through them and they give you money? Where exactly do they get their money, and how much do they take out of your money? A brief explanation would be very helpful, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the internet forum FAQ:
[ QUOTE ]
What is an affiliate?

An affiliate is someone who gets payment for introducing you to a poker site.
Sometimes this payment is in the form of a one-off sum, but often it is a direct percentage of the rake paid by the player the introduce.
Some people will make all manner of nice offers to get you to sign up as their player (For you to have them as your affiliate is the common phrasing of this).
Many players get a deal with the affiliate to get their rake back (Often worded as simply "rakeback").
Many of these deals are against the Terms and Conditions of the site where the player is playing.
All discussion by affiliates, or players looking for an affiliate on this board is now banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note: most rakeback sites now offer non-cash rewards, which is OK with the poker sites T&C.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:15 PM

I have a few books already -- Theory of Poker, Hold Em for Advanced, Small Stakes Hold Em -- but I'm intrigued by PokerTracker, since it would give indisputable evidence of my betting tendencies. How early would you invest in PokerTracker? Before you deposit, even playing limits under, say .25/.50?

Thanks for responding, I really do appreciate the help.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:17 PM

If you got the dough and p0lay at one of the supported sites buy it now. It sooooo pays for it self quickly. Seriously there has been no better poker investment I have made.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:29 PM

Without a doubt if you can afford it now, buy it. Also try and get either player view or game time as they are excellent tools to use with PT.