Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Sox Bullpen Questions

If the sox get the pen straightened out, I can't see them losing the east. But so many questions...

How much longer should Theo/Terry wait before cutting their losses with Embree? What do you do with Foulke? Who should be bumped to the pen when Schill comes back, and in what role? Who is available on the trade market? What about this kid Hanson?
Old 06-23-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Sox Bullpen Questions

Pretend you're Boston's GM and I'm the Mariners GM. I'm offering you Eddie Guardado. Who do you send in return?
Old 06-23-2005, 02:41 PM

Guardado is the best guy I could think of who might be available. If I'm Theo, I wouldn't want to give up Hanley Ramirez or Dustin Pedroia - the two top prospects in the system - but would be willing to deal 2-3 other prospects, probably one top notch and the others more average, to get that done.

Guardado is actually a perfect fit since he could take Embree's place as the left-handed set up man or close if Foulke continues to implode.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:48 PM

How much longer should Theo/Terry wait before cutting their losses with Embree?

last week. embree generally has a 'dry' spell that lands him on the DL at some point. when he comes back he is effective again (effective for him anyways). it seems that the sox are going to just ride it out. as much as i hate seeing embree warm up and enter the game, as of right now there just isn't much else available. its a sellers market when it comes to even semi effective relievers.

What do you do with Foulke?

Just let him pitch. See above answer I suppose. Just hopefully he pithces his way out of whatever funk he is in. Occasionly you see his fastball back up at 88-89, then the next game its 86 again.

Who should be bumped to the pen when Schill comes back, and in what role?

arroyo. he will be the guy that comes in when the starter just doesn't have it, or has a high pitch count in the 5th or 6th. plus he will be an 'emergency' starter.

Who is available on the trade market?

overpriced dudes more than likely.

What about this kid Hanson?

that's asking an awful lot of a young man. who knows though.

once schilling comes back (when hes 90-95%) the burden on the bullpen will be eased (less innings pitched per week, arroyo)

also, the bullpen has been shaky, but dint be surprised if the sox acquire more offensive power in lieu of pitching. the cost is always lower, and the selection greater.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do with Foulke?

Just let him pitch. See above answer I suppose. Just hopefully he pithces his way out of whatever funk he is in. Occasionly you see his fastball back up at 88-89, then the next game its 86 again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is the only answer right now but its pretty nerve wracking. What do you think the chances are that he was on the juice and that the fastball just isn't coming back? If your best pitch is a changeup but suddenly there is only a couple MPH difference between it and the fastball, I don't think you can be very successful.

[ QUOTE ]
Who should be bumped to the pen when Schill comes back, and in what role?

arroyo. he will be the guy that comes in when the starter just doesn't have it, or has a high pitch count in the 5th or 6th. plus he will be an 'emergency' starter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure. I think I would bump Miller at this point since Arroyo is a better pitcher and somebody who, if throwing well at the time, I might want starting a playoff game.

What do you think about getting Guardado? Any trade rumors in Boston? Its hard to keep tabs out on the west coast.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:46 PM

Wakefield goes to pen for 2 reasons. He's been the most inconsistent starter and he is also the most versatile and can and has pitched in all forms of relief(long, middle and closer).
Old 06-23-2005, 03:46 PM

I agree that this is the only answer right now but its pretty nerve wracking. What do you think the chances are that he was on the juice and that the fastball just isn't coming back? If your best pitch is a changeup but suddenly there is only a couple MPH difference between it and the fastball, I don't think you can be very successful.

I dunno, no one can say for sure but i am not so auick to label players who are struggling steriod abusers. a bigger factor might be the amount of work foulke put in last postseason. lets just hope he turns it around.

I'm not so sure. I think I would bump Miller at this point since Arroyo is a better pitcher and somebody who, if throwing well at the time, I might want starting a playoff game.

I am pretty sure it will be Arroyo. Its not just who is a better pitcher right now, but who can handle the transition to the bullpen easier. im pretty sure the sox dont want to mess up millers comeback by usuing him 3-4 times a week.

What do you think about getting Guardado? Any trade rumors in Boston? Its hard to keep tabs out on the west coast.

i would love "EveryDay" EG, but im sure the mariners will be asking for a lot. while the sox have the second highest payroll in the majors, they cant afford to be as freespending as the NYY. i prefer they sell high and buy low. as for rumors, i dunno. i dont pay much attention to them as 95% of the time they dont pan out.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:48 PM

Wakefield goes to pen for 2 reasons.

he doesnt go for two reasons. hes awful to have on the mound with inherited baserunners and mirabelli catches him much better (not to mention its an excuse to rest JV once a week)
Old 06-23-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

he doesnt go for two reasons. hes awful to have on the mound with inherited baserunners and mirabelli catches him much better (not to mention its an excuse to rest JV once a week)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, but the only other option is Arroyo and if he continues to pitch as he has his last couple starts, I don't see how Francona takes him out of the rotation.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, but the only other option is Arroyo and if he continues to pitch as he has his last couple starts, I don't see how Francona takes him out of the rotation.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, im not thrilled about it but its the only move that makes sense. also, with wells/miller and schilling as 3 of your five starters methinks worrying about using 6 starters is a good problem to have.