Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 02:14 AM

Default losing to a 2-outer on the turn?

from party 200. full table.

my stack: 406
mp's stack: 514
button's stack: 449

i'm UTG+1 with Ac6c and limp in. a few more people limp, villain on the button makes it 6 to go. i call, 1 player in mp calls. 3 to the flop.

flop (20) Jc 2c 8d
i check. mp leads for 20. button calls 20. i raise to 100. mp folds. button thinks for a long time... and calls!

turn (260) Ah
i immediately push.

any thoughts?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: losing to a 2-outer on the turn?

I think you played your hand incorrectly on every street.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:56 AM

I don't understand? You lost to a 2 outer on the turn? How did anyone have a 2 outer? You hit a 2 outer and someone else lost to it? Why are you limping Axs from EP? Why are you semi-bluffing into two people with a bet that gives them decent odds? You don't think villain might have AJ? What else would he reraise with PF and then call a bet and a decet CR on that flop except maybe KQs? Do you have any reads?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:28 AM

sorry. disregard the title. mp okay, but tends to go too far with marginal hands. has it in for me, but i broke him about a half hour before with a big hand so is more cautious around me than he was. button on this hand was completely unremarkable. never did anything out of line that i can recall. i might be wrong though, because i had 4 tables up at the time. i'd been very aggressive.

i don't understand your comment about the decent odds on a semi-bluff. i raised the pot, no?

as for hands, i find it hard to put the button on a hand i'm not beating on this turn. he raised preflop and then flat called mp's first bet. if he's got JJ, i'm going broke w/o a river club. if he's got AJ or a smaller set, i think he's raising that first flop bet 90% of the time. no other big ace can still be in it. KK and QQ just got f'ed. he can't have the nut draw because i've got it. what else is there?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:04 AM

Preflop call is very thin. It's very difficult to draw out of position in NL (especially to a flush, since it's so obvious - you're not going to get much action if you hit.)

On the flop, you have three options: Checking and calling, leading, or checkraising. In my opinion, checkraising for the amount you did is the worst of the options, because it creates a huge dilemna on fourth street and creates a very large pot where you clearly have the worst of it. Your opponent should put you on either 9/10 or a club draw, so he's in a position where he can push a safe turn and fold an unsafe turn.

My play on this flop would be to check and call (if you're getting the right price) and then check raise any Q, 7, or club. That's 15 outs, so whether or not to call depends on the price you're getting from the pot.

I don't really like leading into the preflop raiser with just a flush draw, but you could bet like half the pot to try and price yourself into a cheap peak at the turn. It's better than checkraising because you're not bloating the pot unnecessarily.

On the turn, you have to decide if you're willing to get your whole stack in or not. If you are, you push. If you're not, you check/fold. Since you decided that it's worth it, I believe you made the correct play, as checking/calling off your whole stack here is real bad.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, checkraising for the amount you did is the worst of the options, because it creates a huge dilemna on fourth street and creates a very large pot where you clearly have the worst of it...My play on this flop would be to check and call (if you're getting the right price).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

Let me expand a bit on my first post.

Preflop: Just muck this to begin with. A6 is an absolute trash hand, especially UTG. A2s-A5s is significantly better because it can make a wheel, which is a very powerfull hand. But I'm still not playing anything less than AQ/AJs from your position.

Flop: See above. You're gettting excellent odds (3-1) to just call on the flop, so just call and take the cheap turn.

Turn: You have 300 left and the pot is 260. He called your pot check/raise on the flop, so there is little reason to think he is going to fold to a ~pot bet on the turn. It's highly unlikely that he has a draw since the Ac and Jc are both accounted for (I see people making that preflop raise with TJs all the time). There is no way you are folding out a hand that is better than yours. Your only hope is that he has KK/QQ. I don't think this is enough fold equity to get the rest of your stack in. Check and hope he bets small enough that you can see the river.