Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-19-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Fischman flop a boat and bets it

"Young Guns". Cassidy completes SB, Fischman checks BB with 72o. Fischman flops a boat. Cassidy checks and Fischman bets. Doesn't seem like the standard play.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Fischman flop a boat and bets it

If you have the balls to do it, this often is a moneymaking play. Was the flop 772 or 722? The villain will have a hell of a time putting him on the boat for the rest of the hand.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:21 PM

I would tend to think that this is faily standard. If my opponent checks to me on the flop, knowing that I am an agressive player, I think he gets a little suspicious when I just check.

Depending upon the turn card and his action, I would rather check behind there if I feel I would lose him with a bet, hoping to induce a bluff on the river.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:37 PM

I am sure that it is the standard play for fischman to lead out with a big hand like that. I mean he probably fires at every other flop too, right? If he checked every time he made quads he'd never get paid off.

I know that I have flopped quads about a million times and I've lead out probably 60% of them. It is a very deceptive play. And you always get paid off big time if someone else happens to pick up a real good hand.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:55 PM

What happens if you check the flop behind with your boat, the river is a blankish card, and he bets? Are you going to raise? If he's betting with nothing on the turn, you calling will induce a check/fold on the river. Raising will almost definitely cause a fold. The only way you're going to make any money with that hand if you check the flop is if bets both the turn and the river. Betting on the flop gives him the impression that you're stealing.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have the balls to do it, this often is a moneymaking play. Was the flop 772 or 722? The villain will have a hell of a time putting him on the boat for the rest of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's fine and dandy, but you forgot since you bet the villain isn't going to BE in the hand a majority of the time... the hand will be over and you will have won a ssmall pot with a monster. It's not a terrible play if you're a super aggressive player with that image, but Fischman was probably playing the tightest at the table. Since he was he should have NEVER made this play.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:59 PM

He should make it sometimes to mix up his play.

Good poker players remember stuff and pay attention.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's fine and dandy, but you forgot since you bet the villain isn't going to BE in the hand a majority of the time... the hand will be over and you will have won a ssmall pot with a monster. It's not a terrible play if you're a super aggressive player with that image, but Fischman was probably playing the tightest at the table. Since he was he should have NEVER made this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I entirely disagree. Heads up, betting into a flop that was checked to you is standard enough that it's not a big deal. Basically, if he checks here, unless villain catches something on the turn, hero isn't winning a big pot anyway.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:16 AM

Everyone fires at this pot 90+% of the time in a tournament. Not firing at it is fishy in that position.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:00 AM

The only time not betting on the flop will not be considered fishy is if you check the flop every so often.

However, if you're the super aggressive always betting the flop type, then yes, checking the flop seems fishy.

At the same time then, you could use that to your advantage. For example, you can check the flop to your opponent, "representing" a big hand...... it really can go either way.