Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-07-2005, 10:41 AM

Default bubble play help

i've seen several posts suggesting a push (open pushing from SB only?), with junk cards. what are the criterias for this play? (your stack size, opponent's stack size, short stack size, ...)

thanks,
jc
Old 12-07-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: bubble play help

[ QUOTE ]
i've seen several posts suggesting a push (open pushing from SB only?), with junk cards. what are the criterias for this play? (your stack size, opponent's stack size, short stack size, ...)

thanks,
jc

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, your stack size, opponent's stack size, short stack size, ...
Old 12-07-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thanks,
jc

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't limit it to the SB, either.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thanks,
jc

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't limit it to the SB, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

That too, but I will push more junk from the SB than the button, however, stack size and opp stack size play into this a lot.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:36 PM

can you give me an example or two with relevant stack sizes?

hero's hand = ??
hero's stack = XXXX
BB's stack = YYYY
short stack = ZZZZ

any other relevant info?

thanks,
jc
Old 12-07-2005, 04:15 PM

Read the FAQ and play around with ICM along with a tool like PokerStove or the Poker Calculator. These are all free, and links in the FAQ discuss how to use them.

I'll mention a couple of guidelines you can use. This first one is from Lee Jones originally. I changed it and extrapolated it so I could remember it. If you search around on this forum, probably under "Lee Jones" and something like "heads up" or "blinds" or "push" or "steal" you should be able to find it. It was posted I'd guess about two weeks ago.

Anyway what he does is assign a point system, as follows:
1)Ace is worth 15 points.
2)King is worth 13, Queen 12, Jack 10, everything else face value
3)Suited = 2 points
4)Pair = 22 points

The formula is take two times the highest card you have, and add the second plus whatever bonuses may apply.

Ex. 1: ATs = 2x15 + 10 + 2 = 42
Ex. 2: 77 = 2x7 + 7 + 22 = 43
Ex. 3: 87s = 2x8 + 7 + 2 = 25

He gives an exact listing of stack size and how many points you should have to push with or call with. I should mention this is for a blind vs. blind situation. He only goes to 7xBB. I extrapolated his results to get this:

1)To push, take 19 and add it to your stack size
2)To call, take 23 and add it to your stack size

I ignore 2) (unless very short-stacked), because this is optimal call strategy against someone who is playing optimally. I assume most opponents will not push enough, so I'll be tighter than this strategy suggests, preferring to have the chance of pushing, which I know will be +EV regardless of my opponent's call range.

Here's an example of pushing. Say you have 10xBB and you're in the SB with T9s. Should you push? Add 19 to 10 to get 29. T9s = 2x10 + 9 + 2 = 31, so you push.

There was an article on this just last month, I can't remember where, which had the following guidelines (this is from memory, but pretty sure this is right -- at least it's close)
1)Push any Ace or King
2)Push any Queen or Jack suited
3)Push Q5o.
4)Push any two where both cards are > 7.
5)Push any two suited where both cards are > 5.
6)Push any pair.

This is if you are on the small blind with 10xBB.

Regarding pushing any two, if you're in the SB and there's 4 players left, and the stack sizes are about the same, theoretically you can push any two, because there's very few hands the BB should call you with. However, in practice, many players will not play theoretically correctly, and will make a bad call (one that's -EV to them as well as to you), so I'd shy away from the push any two strategy in lower limits. If you've seen an opponent is tight, then it could be correct to push with any two. If you're unsure, you can revert back to the guidelines suggested above.

Ok, this is discussing blind-stealing situations where you're in the SB. As you move to an earlier position, you need to tighten up, as there are more people who might call you (which you don't want; that's something to keep in mind, your goal is to win uncontested, so you're looking for opponents who will fold their blinds). How much you need to tighten up is something you could play around with the tools I first mentioned above that the FAQ speaks of.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:36 PM

The prime criteria is the tightness of the players left to act. If they're scared to bust on the bubble, you can attack more.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 PM

to push any 2
1) the bb must be willing to fold
2) you need to be pretty desperate

For example 5 players left
UTG 3000
UTG+1 2400
me 600
SB 1000
BB 1000

Blinds at 200/100. I am super desperate. I will push just about any 2 here if either of the blinds has shown any ability to fold. They are both relatively small stacks but they still might be playing tight trying to limp into the money.