Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2003, 07:58 AM

Default A few hands for comment

It was back to the $0.5/1 grind this morning for a quick 45 minute session. I must have some residual effects from last night since I kept expecting capped preflops but it was nice to be able to limp again. A couple of hands for feedback:

Hand 1: 9-9 UTG. I limp as do 2 others. Both blinds in. Flop [10-7-7, 3 suits]. SB bets out and BB calls. What's the play? I must admit, I was thinking either raise or fold - period. I think this forum has helped tremendously in getting me out of call mode. There's still work to do there but I think there's progress. So please don't say I should have called.

Hand 2: 10-10 UTG+1. This is a border hand for me to limp or raise. I limped this time. 4 others in. Flop [A-Q-10, 2 suits]. Blinds check, I bet, MP raises, LP calls, both blinds fold, I 3-bet, both call. Turn [A-Q-10]-K, no 3-flush. What's the play?

Hand 3: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG. I open raise, MP 3-bets, LMP calls, others fold. Flop [Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]. I bet, MP raises and LMP 3-bets. Call or fold?

Old 09-16-2003, 08:11 AM

Default Re: A few hands for comment

(if you don't know me, i play an ultra-conservative "stay out of trouble" style, except in tournaments.)

hand 1: i fold here. there's just too little of a chance your hand is good against a bettor and caller on a board like that, and there are two people behind you.

hand 2: i check and call. even if your hand is good, one of the other players likely will bet (as they love to do when you show weakness and the board supplies a bluffing opportunity), so the money will get in anyway.

hand 3: i definitely fold here. if there was no preflop action, you could consider a call, but at least one of these two should have AQ or an overpair on this action, and the pot is not big enough to chase your flimsy outs.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:34 AM

Hand #1:
Raise preflop.
And you are correct raise or fold on this flop.
I think with the caller you are behind a Ten, so if you folded then, fine.

Hand #2:
Raise preflop.
Bet and call a rasie.

Hand #3:
Call w/your top pair w/overcard and double runner runner.

Till next time,
Larry Joe
Old 09-16-2003, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(if you don't know me, i play an ultra-conservative "stay out of trouble" style, except in tournaments.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd think in tournament play you'd play more conservative, have you heard of the 'Gap concept'?

[ QUOTE ]
hand 2: i check and call. even if your hand is good, one of the other players likely will bet (as they love to do when you show weakness and the board supplies a bluffing opportunity), so the money will get in anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily bet your set, you could have the best hand and mostlikely have 10 clean outs to the best hand. If you don't bet your set for value because you think someone made a gut-shot, you're playing weak, my friend.

[ QUOTE ]
hand 3: i definitely fold here. if there was no preflop action, you could consider a call, but at least one of these two should have AQ or an overpair on this action, and the pot is not big enough to chase your flimsy outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually agree with your hand reading, however the pot is decent size so you can call 2 cold and easily fold if you don't improve on the turn.

Peace,
Larry Joe
Old 09-16-2003, 08:50 AM

hand 1: I'll fold after a bettor and a caller... You've got to think you're up against a T at best, therefore you've got 2 outs (would you raise a pair of deuces in that position)

hand 2: I'll bet the set and call a raise. They're probably as scared as you are of the straight... If they've got it you still have outs.

hand 3: You're out-kicked at best, and more likely up against 2 pairs. Even if you're not a K following on the turn could make someone a straight even if it's rather unlikely considering the flop action.

The main thing I would say is... if you don't raise with TT UTG+1, why do you raise with KQs when UTG... it seems to me that with KQs you're mainly looking for a big draw and want as many people in as possible. I might even considering a limp-reraise if there are enough people in the hand.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:54 AM

Festus22,

Hand 1)
I think you have an easy fold. There is a very good chance that SB and/or BB have a T or 7. There are two players yet to act so it could eaisly be raised after you act.

Hand 2)
IMO you should never raise TT UTG in .5/$1. The outcome is predictable, you will get callers and you are out of position. Play it for it's set value. HEPFAP recommends limping with JJ in EP in a loose game. On the turn I would bet and call a raise with the intention of checkraising the river if the board pairs. If I wasn't raised I would bet the river.

Hand 3)
Fold the flop. MP 3-bet preflop and LMP called three cold. You are behind to AA, KK, QQ, TT and AQ which are all possible hands given the action. The hands that you're ahead of; AK and JJ are much less likely.

Lost Wages
Old 09-16-2003, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you can call 2 cold and easily fold if you don't improve on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to consider the possibility that it will cost you 3 bets to see the turn.

Lost Wages
Old 09-16-2003, 09:34 AM

Default What I Did

Hand 1: Folded

Hand 2: I bet the turn, was raised (of course) and called. I check/called the river when the board didn't pair and lost to J-xs.

Hand 3: This was from last night. I don't remember who was in MP and LMP. I think if the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] wasn't there, I most likely would have folded. I know double runner outs are unlikely but the way some hands in that game were playing, I could very well been ahead on the flop. Having that extra out chance swayed me just enough to call. BTW - I did hit runner diamonds to drag it in.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:50 AM

Default Re: What I Did

[ QUOTE ]
I did hit runner diamonds to drag it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did the hand history reveal your opponents to have??
Old 09-16-2003, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to consider the possibility that it will cost you 3 bets to see the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this did consider this, but being on Party Poker the 3-better could have QJo and play the flop like this, so I feel calling 2 cold here is not to bad.