Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: And people say Mass drivers are aggressive?

Hahah. I thought the same thing when I saw the thread title. I guess I've played too much Masters of Orion.

Swede
Old 11-22-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been to Barcelona specifically, but I propose that the aggressiveness of local drivers anywhere is inversely proportional to the average width, simplicity, and surface consistency of the local road infrastructure.

Boston has the narrowest, most screwed up roads with the most potholes anywhere in the U.S., so naturally we are the most aggressive drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this seems to be true, but it doesn't make sense to me. If the roads themselves are inherently dangerous, why would you compound that by driving fast and aggressive?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never been to Barcelona specifically, but I propose that the aggressiveness of local drivers anywhere is inversely proportional to the average width, simplicity, and surface consistency of the local road infrastructure.

Boston has the narrowest, most screwed up roads with the most potholes anywhere in the U.S., so naturally we are the most aggressive drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this seems to be true, but it doesn't make sense to me. If the roads themselves are inherently dangerous, why would you compound that by driving fast and aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't pretend to understand why.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't pretend to understand why.

[/ QUOTE ]

The roads are narrower due to poor city planning, overcrowding. The drivers respond to this by driving more aggressively, since this is the only way to get anywhere.

In areas with poor road conditions, potholes etc. this is further magnified by people having older, crappier cars they don't care about, and thus driving even more crazy since they don't worry about small fender benders and what not.

Swede
Old 11-22-2005, 01:50 PM

The cars in that pic don't have MA license plates. MA plates are either green or red. Those look like NY plates.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
awesome pic, but I agree that Mass. drivers are by far the worst in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

We aren't the worst; we are aggressive. The rest of you are just a bunch of pussies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you're not claiming to be the most aggressive drivers in the world, but I still feel it's important to point out how the most crazy and aggressive American driver is a pussy cat compared to most drivers in any typical European city. Barcelona, for example, has some crazy fuckers on the road. I imagine things are as bad or worse in some Latin American countries.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
It's crazy in China too. In Beijing, forget about driving, I'm afraid to cross the street on foot. Seriously.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The cars in that pic don't have MA license plates. MA plates are either green or red. Those look like NY plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, yeah - that was the point...say the subject with the emphasis on "Mass" and you'll get it.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
awesome pic, but I agree that Mass. drivers are by far the worst in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

We aren't the worst; we are aggressive. The rest of you are just a bunch of pussies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, people from Mass arent bad drivers, it just seems like it to the untrained eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree, but latelly, I've been seeing some stupid things that drivers do. The one that I am most annoied by right now is moving to the left before turning right or vice versa. If you are turning right, you should move to the right so that other dirvers can (privided the road is wide enough) get by on the left. Same thing for turning left.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:19 PM

I was in boston last weekend and it was an absolutely awful driving city. first off the intersections are all bizarre and badly designed, and the drivers are maniacs. so yeah, badly designed intersections. big pain
Old 11-22-2005, 03:19 PM

This reminds me of what happened to a buddy of mine a few years back. He was driving behind a really slow old woman for a while...finally she put her left blinker on and slowed down, so he started to pass her on the right....and she turned right and crashed into him. When asked why she did this, she replied "I was trying to give you notice to go around me on the left." I mean...wow...just wow.