Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Arrrghhh!

I don't like it when this happens. How much of it was my own fault? Other people should not be allowed to make boats on fifth.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___raises
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (6.80 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___double bets___calls

5th Street - (7.40 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises___calls

6th Street - (13.40 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (15.40 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets___raises
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises___calls

Total pot: (21.40 BB)
Old 08-17-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Arrrghhh!

This was 4 handed? If your new to a limit avoid playing it short handed as a rule of thumb.

3rd - is ok but I likely just call here.
4th - double bet is good then when he raises your screwed.
5th - sweet, you boated up bet out crap he raised you are likely beat. Call down from here.

Your check raises are too obvious and when they get played back at you need to realize how screwed you are unless up against a total manic. You probably could have saved 3ish BB on this hand with out sacrificing much upside if you played differently on 5th - 7th. Also a strong case could be made for folding 4th or 5th but I think that is a little too weak 4 handed.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:00 PM

I actually think the river is spewing. Unless this guy is a tard of the highest magnitude, he has quad fours (started rolled) or buried jacks that made a set on 4th and a big boat on 5th. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm almost tempted to lay down on 5th when he reraises your checkraise (he has to make you for three nines yet he is still going nuts). A bad player might go bats with buried aces or kings here, but even a bad player should put you on likely trips. A decent to good player must have three nines beat here and the only way is a flukey hooks full or quads.

That being said, I don't necessarily blame you for running this hand out...but I'm certainly check-calling the whole way even if I boat against typical players. The only way I'm raising the river is if I hit quads.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2005, 12:32 AM

I probably just call on third, but the raise is fine.

I thought that you slowed down at about the right point--after he three-bets your check-raise on fifth. Then you go and cap the river. The check-raise is dubious, but the four-bet is very poor unless this guy is a super-maniac, and even there I'd probably slow down. He's representing Jacks-full, either that or quads.

I know it's not often that you make a full house in five cards, and it's tough to lose on a hand like that. Try to remember that in poker, you're not looking for good hands so much as good situations. When the other guy raised you on fourth street, your situation became much more tenuous.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try to remember that in poker, you're not looking for good hands so much as good situations.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen a lot of gold flow from your mind and this is definetly up there. Motion to add it to your book [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

ps. I definetly think it's the most +EV thing I've read all week [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
It seems so obvious but I can't count the number of times I lose sight of that (like in the Q hand I just posted.)
Old 08-18-2005, 01:19 AM

Yeah, that would definitely be somewhere in the book, although it's hardly original. I think I first read it in Peter Steiner's Thursday Night Poker.

A lot of the best advice is very simple. I've dissed Roy West a bit here and there, but he is responsible for the best advice on a per-word basis I know of:

"Play happy or don't play."

From Mike Caro, on hold'em:

"Play big cards."

Again from Caro, on stud:

"Play live cards."