Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2004, 07:08 PM

Default 10-9 suited God I play good.

Incredible 30-60 game at Canterbury. I have been playing for over 20 hours, my longest session ever. Only other decent player in the game raises UTG He plays pretty weak tight,3 or 4 people call, and I call on the button with 10c9c. Both blinds call. 6 or 7 or 8 to the flop. Flop comes 10-6-5 rainbow. Both blinds check Utg checks and somehow its checked to me. Ok well I guess i'll bet. Sb calls BB folds and now UTG checkraises. He definitly has an overpair here and the only other possible holding would be 10-10. But since I have a 10 we'll discount that. So one guy cold calls. I call. Turn comes a 3 for a board of 10-6-5-3 rainbow. Sb checks UTG bets the cold caller folds and I call. River comes a 4 for a board of 10-6-5-3-4. As the sb checks, I figure wow the Sb is such a bad player that he might pay off with hands that I can beat and if he calls no way weak tight can overcall with a hand that certainly beats mine. So UTG checks now, I immediatly bet, Sb quickly calls. Utg folds, I say 10 and its good. Utg is pretty pissed. He tells me as im cashing out that he had aces, was I lucky here or was this and auto river bet?
Old 03-21-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: 10-9 suited God I play good.

[ QUOTE ]
As the sb checks, I figure wow the Sb is such a bad player that he might pay off with hands that I can beat and if he calls no way weak tight can overcall with a hand that certainly beats mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey worm,

It's tough to argue with your logic after it worked to perfection. Viewed another way, you have a 0% chance of winning by checking. There's some number of big bets in the pot. Is UTG going to fold often enough to show a profit on the one big bet that you risk? Sounds like it.

ML4L
Old 03-21-2004, 10:19 PM

"...or was this and auto river bet?"

No, but it sure was the correct play given the situation.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:24 PM

No way the UTG ever ever ever folds for 1 bet on the river if the SB folds. EVER. He probably knows I dont have a straight. But with the SB calling i know he never overcalls with 1 pair here. And the SB is HORRIBLE. If the SB folds I might as well muck, but it looked like he would call and hes the type of player who will call with cards that dont beat top pair 9 kicker.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:56 PM

Hi Worm:

You made a good play.

When you know your opponents well, opportunities like this do arise.

Best wishes,
mason
Old 03-22-2004, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you know your opponents well, opportunities like this do arise.

[/ QUOTE ]

And can be the difference between a wining poker session and a losing one.

-Zeno
Old 03-22-2004, 03:10 AM

You are expecting me to believe that a guy with pocket aces and a 10 high board is folding the river here? Come'on now.....are you serious? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

If this is true, the reason you won the hand is not because you play good, but because your opponents play bad.

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2004, 03:16 AM

"You are expecting me to believe that a guy with pocket aces and a 10 high board is folding the river here? Come'on now.....are you serious?'

read again babe. the board was T6543.

Old 03-22-2004, 03:33 AM

Default to mikel

Yup, I saw the possible straight on board, but worm said 6 or 7 or 8 players called the raise preflop. If ONLY 6 people called, my calulations are that the pot is around 800 bucks. AA is not paying 60 more bucks on that river, getting 13 -1 ? I dunno....it just doesn't fit somehow. Also, no straight was possible on the turn. The 4 came on the river. So, AA is putting worm on a gut? What the heck..., I guess it's possible.....
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2004, 03:41 AM

Hi Babe:

[ QUOTE ]
If this is true, the reason you won the hand is not because you play good, but because your opponents play bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may very well be the case. But knowing which of your opponents are capable of figuring out that they are probably beat and then making the appropriate laydown without regard to the size of the pot is important.

Best wishes,
Mason