Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2003, 03:20 PM

Default omaha hi hand. did i play this right?

The game is a pretty loose $2 spread limit. I come in for $.50. Several player see the flop. I am in FP and flop a K high flush. I bet $1 to see whether the A flush is out. 2 players stay in. One player will play anything but has been on the best run I've ever seen in my life. The other player is pretty solid but could be in with two pair or 3 of a kind. An irrelevant card comes on the turn. I bet $1 still scared of the a flush(the reason for this is both players slow play A LOT). I am praying that a the board doesn't pair. Sure enough the river pairs and 8 and the fairly solid player almost pees his pants. He can't get to his chips fast enough. I am sure he has at least the boat. I check and fold to his bet. He has four 8's. Did I play this hand right? Should I have been betting max limit on the K high flush? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-06-2003, 05:43 PM

Default Re: omaha hi hand. did i play this right?

It is usually good to make players on the draw to pay the maximum. You fold was remarkable, very few players could lay that hand down. Looks like your read on this player was perfect but I would not make a habit of making these laydowns unless you are substantially more sure you are beat than the pot odds would dictate that you call.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:23 AM

Thanks for the compliment. My read wasn't the problem. I had seen this guy in action before. I knew with pretty high certainty. Anyway, with a pair out there I probably would have folded the A-high flush. The likelihood of a boat in omaha is too high. My question really had to do with the play. Should I have been betting harder, softer, or just right?
Old 05-07-2003, 11:04 AM

" My question really had to do with the play. Should I have been betting harder, softer, or just right? "

I thought I answered that question when I said "It is usually good to make players on the draw to pay the maximum." In other words bet the max if you have a made hand and you are sure they must improve to beat you, so you were betting too weak, results aside. If you knew this player would only call with top set then your betting would have been more correct since almost noone throws away top set but since he will continue the hand with a lower set you should have been betting the max. I apologize for the previous compound sentence. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2003, 01:38 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Anyway, with a pair out there I probably would have folded the A-high flush. The likelihood of a boat in omaha is too high.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are making a big mistake if you consistently make this laydown without considering many factors, not just the board. You did take the other player's tendencies into account (he never bluffs?) but pot size is another important consideration. You don't say how many called your turn bet or how many saw the flop but if we assume 2 and 6 respectively, there is $9 in the pot when one player bets into you for $2( I assume). $11 in the pot and you are faced with a $2 bet which I also assume will close the betting, so you are getting 5.5:1. Consider that for every 5.5 times you face this bet you have only to be right once when you call to break even. Still think it is a bad call?
Old 05-08-2003, 09:01 AM

I think the laydown on the end is correct. A solid player will not be calling you down with a weaker flush.

I don't like the $1 bets. In spread limit games it is almost always correct ot bet the max. Otherwise you are giving away too much information.