Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2002, 08:24 PM

Default My First \'How Badly Did I Play This Hand\' post :)

It's a micro-limit online game. I have no read on the three other players involved.

I'm dealt AdJc two to the right of the button. Two early/mid position players limp. I limp. All fold to the BB who checks.

(Is a limp correct here?)

4.5 SB in the pot. Flop comes Qd Ts 3s. Big blind bets. One limper calls. I call.

(I'm getting 6.5:1 pot odds on my call. I can't define the big blind's hand yet, but the limper probably does not have trips or two pair. I have 3 'clean' outs in the non-spade kings and 4 'maybe' outs in As, Ac, Ah, Ks. If all my outs were clean, I'd be getting the pot odds to call. However, if I do hit a clean king, I'll probably get lots of action, as it's likely to make someone two pair or a lesser straight. Should I have folded here? I think there's some guideline about chasing a straight draw with a two-flush on the board...)

3.5 BB in the pot. Turn comes Tc [Qd Ts 3s]. Big blind and limper both check. I check.

(Should I bet here, representing a ten? Both of them might be on flush draws, or have Qx or 3x. I don't think that either of them are trying for a check-raise with turned trips...why would either believe that there'd be a bet after their check? They might believe my bet, thinking I called with middle pair on the flop. Did I wuss out in checking, or is it better to take a card and hope to hit a non-spade ace or king?)

3.5 BB in the pot. River comes As [Tc Qd Ts 3s]. Big blind and limper both check. I check.

(Should I bet here? Again, I'm not that scared of a check-raise, and it's unlikely that someone has trips or better. Some hands that beat me (AK, AQ, A3, Q3) might check here, scared that I was on a flush draw. The early position player probably doesn't have AK since he limped pre-flop, but the big blind might. AQ probably would have bet the turn (BB) or raised the flop (the early position player). Q3, A3 is a possibility for either player. I should have bet, I suppose.)

I win with my pair of aces.
Big blind shows Qs 7c..top pair, weak kicker with a backdoor flush draw.
Early position shows Kc 3c...bottom pair, one over-card.

Where'd I mess up? What did I do right (aside from picking a game with passive opponents)?

PP
Old 10-29-2002, 09:09 PM

Default Not that bad !

<font color="red">I'm dealt AdJc two to the right of the button. Two early/mid position players limp. I limp. All fold to the BB who checks.</font color> I would raise.

<font color="red">4.5 SB in the pot. Flop comes Qd Ts 3s. Big blind bets. One limper calls. I call.</font color> With 3-7 outs one could make a case for folding !? I would call too.

<font color="red">Should I bet here, representing a ten?</font color> Be very carefull with this 'representing-stuff'. Checking along on the turn is fine.

<font color="red">3.5 BB in the pot. River comes As [Tc Qd Ts 3s]. Big blind and limper both check. I check.</font color> With a 3-flush on board I would check too. Could be you lost a bet here !?
Old 10-29-2002, 09:20 PM

Default Re: My First \'How Badly Did I Play This Hand\' post :)

Calling or raising before the flop is ok. I'd consider folding the flop. The pot is small and u have little, plus the flush draw kills some of your outs. On the river, you have a clear bet when checked to. People will call with worse hands.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2002, 08:58 AM

You should bet the river here, alot of worse hands will call in LL and as the hand unfolded it's not likely you get check/raised.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:28 AM

"I'm dealt AdJc...River comes As [Tc Qd Ts 3s]...Some hands that beat me (AK, AQ, A3, Q3)..."

Be careful that you don't overanalyze incorrectly. You have As over Ts with a Q kicker. AK (As over Ts, K kicker) and AQ (As over Qs) have you beat, but you chop A3 (or any other Ax where x&lt;10) and beat Q3 (Qs over Ts).

Then you can look at the passiveness of the hand and pretty much rule out AK and AQ, and unless you're scared of the flush (a checked-around turn could indicate that), you have a good value bet.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:45 AM

Raise pre-flop because:
1) against LL limpers your hand is likely best.
2) you might buy the button.
3) you don't want a large field with AJo.
4) you take control of the hand.
5) you may get checked to on the flop and can take a free card.

On the flop:
Calling is OK since you are closing the action. If there were players to act behind you it would be a likely fold. A raise would be OK too.

Turn:
Take the free card, after all you are on a draw.
Semibluffing is rarely correct in microlimit since there is little chance everyone will fold.

Bet the River:
No one who hit the flush or broadway is going to try a checkraise after the turn was checked through.

Lost Wages
Old 10-30-2002, 11:45 AM

&gt; but you chop A3 (or any other Ax where x&lt;10) and beat Q3 (Qs over Ts).

I know, I know...&lt;slaps himself silly a bit&gt;
Old 10-30-2002, 11:46 AM

Default Thanks for the responses!

I appreciate the time y'all spent on l'il ol' me.

PP
Old 10-30-2002, 12:05 PM

I think this hand is a perfect example of why AJo with players in ahead of you is a bad holding. pre-flop is a raise/fold decision. Most of the time, I'd fold it. It's also a classic example of how, with this hand, the flop looks better to you than it really is. You really want to see a J on the flop. If you're going to stay in on this one, make it expensive for yourr opponents to stay.