Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Overlimping AA for deception?

Is it a good idea? Discuss.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Overlimping AA for deception?

Only for you.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:18 PM

I personally wouldn't do it, although I have thought about it theoretically many times (clearly you are as well). I just think you give up too much equity preflop with AA by not getting as much money in as you can. The only time I do not put in every last raise with AA preflop is when I have open raised, been 3 bet, and will now be heads up with the 3 bettor. In this case, many times I just call. It seems like it's isn't very hard to make the 1SB (and sometimes much more) up postflop.

I don't like the prospect of overlimping with AA in a multiway pot, and having it so that I could show my opponents my hand on the flop and they would still be correct to draw at their 2 pair/gutshot, blah blah blah.

Maybe some heated discussion in this thread will change my mind.

- Jags

edit:can't spell
Old 10-21-2005, 10:19 PM

Limping aces is a play for an aggressive game where you are fairly sure you are going to be raised. Overlimping is risky in that after a few limpers, players start limping in with small pairs and suited connectors and crap that you really aren't all that excited about having around.

On the other hand, you have aces and your preflop limp is very deceptive. I'd save it for the most laggy games, but think it's a viable play.

my 2 cents.
eric
Old 10-21-2005, 10:25 PM

last night live 20/40, hijack/CO/btn are all a big mix of crazy/random preflop

utg nit limps, I limp after him with red aces, folded to hijack who limps, co limps, button folds, sb completes.

Flop 7 8 T rainbow, I bet, all call. Turn A, I bet, hijack raises, I 3-bet, hijack 4-bets, I call down, he had J9o.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limping aces is a play for an aggressive game where you are fairly sure you are going to be raised. Overlimping is risky in that after a few limpers, players start limping in with small pairs and suited connectors and crap that you really aren't all that excited about having around.

On the other hand, you have aces and your preflop limp is very deceptive. I'd save it for the most laggy games, but think it's a viable play.

my 2 cents.
eric

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring up a good point that I didn't mention in my post: Say 2 people limp and you come along for 1 bet as well...The dudes with 22 and T9s in the cutoff and on the button are correct to come along. Bleh. Add that to the flop scenario I mentioned in my post, and it seems like you are preventing your opponents from making mistakes by just limping.

But...sometimes you will get bet into on the flop, be able to raise and thin the field, and get the pot heads up or 3 handed without your opponents knowing how strong you really are. This situation is nice, and could be an argument for overlimping (in addition to the obvious times you wil be able to limp-reraise preflop)

- Jags
Old 10-21-2005, 10:29 PM

Was this hand at Foxwoods by any chance? I saw the same thing happen there yesterday...

- Jags
Old 10-21-2005, 10:34 PM

If you like seeing your aces beat by some cheese that BB holds then go ahead. Personally this kind of thing is likely to put me on tilt so I raise everytime.

Just raise dont worry about deception its overrated.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was this hand at Foxwoods by any chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Brantford.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just raise dont worry about deception its overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this applies to OP, just a guess.