Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Weak 4th street check?

Slow playing in stud is gengeraly not the optimal way to play the game. It is too easy for the underdog to catch up in stud. A pair of jacks is not best suited for multiplay unlike a flush draw. My guess is that you are raising most of your flush draws and limping with your high pairs, and if that is the case, you need to look into the mirror and see things in reverse. pairs - shorthanded, draws - multiway.

The outcome of this hand is of no relevance. It is actually detrimental, I think, as it reinforces a losing strategy.

This hand was not played wisely. It's not about winning the biggest pots. It's about winning the most bets over a session. And playing this way will take away many of your winning bets.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:24 PM

I don't think that I exaggerate when I say all pairs, be they (A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or (72)2r, play better heads-up than multi-way. When you start with one pair, an annoying percentage of the time you are going to wind up with only that pair or two pair. Two pair, especially Jacks-up, just isn't going to win that often in a five-way pot. So there are basically two ways to play a pair:

1) Raise and thin the field. This is the default play with a big pair.

2) Limp and hope you get lucky. This is the default play with a small pair if you choose to play it.

By limp/re-raising with this cheese-ball, you have created a big pot that probably won't be won by Jacks-up or even Kings-up. Everyone is now tied on, including you. The other players will probably keep calling, which may be a mistake on their part but will give them every opportunity to beat you. Meanwhile, even if things get a little ugly, you'll probably be forced to stick with this hand even when you don't want to anymore.

I don't get the check on fourth. I want to give these folks every opportunity to fold. True, they probably aren't folding on fourth, but they might fold on fifth. If you check now, they will probably be more inclined to call you on fifth. While the 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] may well have a four-flush, it's not like he has to have that, and I think you probably still have more than 20% pot equity in any case.

The check-raise on sixth strikes me as a tad aggressive, but I won't argue about it much.

I think maybe you should take a month off from this whole limp/re-raise thing and see what that does for you. If you're rolled or have (A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and can't help yourself, that's one thing, but maybe lay off on the pairs and mediocre three-flushes.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Results..

My kings up took it down, opponent showed tens and nines.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 AM

Beer, Where do I start??? Limp raising here shouldn't even cross your mind!! Once the 4 completes and 3 callers in front of you now the hand is just a call, because when a small card completes his most likely hand here is a big pair better than jacks.

4th Street you probably should bet and hope the guy with the 4 raises to thin the field.

5th street is an odd bet, now I think i'd prefer to check, jacks just aren't that great right now with so many players.

I like 6th good check raise. The river is also fine.