Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Canterbury sunday morning shootout

Has anyone here played in this tournament before? If I'm playing at 7:30am am I pretty much gauranteed to get into the tournament? I really don't want to get up that early and not be able to get in. Also, how's the breakfast buffet? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Canterbury sunday morning shootout

Too late to answer you. But for others thinking about future Sunday shootouts, if you are seated you will get a post-it which you will take to the cashier window to sign-up.

The buffets at CP are not bad (considering they are free to tournament players).

The Sunday shootouts are ok to play for $12 for a chance to win up to $1k. Since they are Limit tourneys, you need to get a quick jump and ride it. The chip winner at each table will reassemble for the final table.

I prefer the Wednesday night and Sunday afternoon NL tourneys verus Thursday night and Sunday morning Limits.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since they are Limit tourneys, you need to get a quick jump and ride it. The chip winner at each table will reassemble for the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This strategy is wrong. In this tournament, you play at one table for one hour. The chip leader after one hour wins $100 and goes on to a final table with the other table winners.

Less than 1% of the time, someone at the table has enough chips to win before the last hands. The remaining 99% of the time, everyone caps the betting on the last one or two hands and that's how the winner is determined.

It's a terrible tournament, but there is an overlay (since it's $1200 in entry fees and $2000 is paid out).

Last time I was there was several months ago and you needed to be seated at a table and playing around 7:00 or you risk getting shut out of the tourney.

At the final table, the structure is the same, so usually everyone agrees to take an extra $100 and the remaining $200 goes to the "winner". Once in a while someone is a dick and refuses to chop.

The breakfast buffet is ok. Average sausage, pretty good bacon, bland scrambled eggs w/cheese, bland soft hash browns, fresh fruit.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:51 PM

Thanks guys. That's exactly the info I was looking for.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:04 AM

"This strategy is wrong. In this tournament, you play at one table for one hour. The chip leader after one hour wins $100 and goes on to a final table with the other table winners."

It's not a strategy, just the facts. If you don't start winning early, you will get blinded out. You cannot bluff anyone out.

Limit tourneys suck donkey balls anyway--they are for people who are too timid to lay NL. Stick to limit cash games and NL tourneys.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:10 PM

If I recall correctly, you start with $800 in chips and play $15/30. It's tough to get blinded off in an hour. Jeff is right--it comes down to who wins in the last couple of hands when everyone sticks all their money in. Not the most rewarding gambling experience. And I think their bacon leaves something to be desired.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"This strategy is wrong. In this tournament, you play at one table for one hour. The chip leader after one hour wins $100 and goes on to a final table with the other table winners."

It's not a strategy, just the facts. If you don't start winning early, you will get blinded out. You cannot bluff anyone out.

Limit tourneys suck donkey balls anyway--they are for people who are too timid to lay NL. Stick to limit cash games and NL tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Andy said, you're not getting blinded out playing only 1 hour of 15/30 when the limits don't go up at all. You start with T900, so you think you're going to lose 30 BB in less than an hour of limit play?

Trust me, I've played that tournament more times than I can remember and I can clearly recall a couple of times where I was down to a few hundred chips but won both of the last two hands and won my table.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played that tournament more times than I can remember

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not the sort of thing I'd admit to in a public forum. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2004, 10:58 PM

The breakfast is very averag. They have good pastries and donuts and fresh fruit is a nice touch. Stay away from the "hashbrowns", its like eating wet newspaper.

FYI: I was that "dick" that decided not to chop at the final table and I ended up winning the grand.

BEING A DICK = $800...... NICE

Tuds
Old 11-22-2004, 11:47 AM

If the tournament is the free "shootout" you are talking about, I would recommend taking your entry fee and burning it instead of going to the tournament. It sucks.