Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 09:21 PM

Default 2 Hands UB .50/1

Long time lurker, first time poster. These are a couple of hands that I played in the last few days on Ultimate Bet that are probably pretty basic to most of you guys.

Hand No. 1:

Villain and I have been playing HU at a table that has just lost some players for about 10 minutes. In that span I am probably up about $35 on him, mostly by taking pots down with aggression and not showing any cards. Villain has not re-raised preflop before this time and has not done anything unusual yet. Villain has $170 and I cover him.

I pick up 88 on the button and bring in for $3.50. Villain re-raises to $18.50. I call (???)

Flop (Pot $39): A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] X [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian bets $11. My first thought is KK, QQ following through with a weak continuation bet scared of the ace. AK, AA are also possibilities.

I call planning to raise the turn / bet if he checks (bad / terrible???)

turn (pot $60ish): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

so this is my gin card. Villain checks. I do NOT follow through with my plan and bet. Instead I check behind (???).

River ($60ish): T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

the river completes the 3 card flush and gives me 8s full over tens. Villain checks, I bet $50 and Villain insta pushes for his last $100. Hero?

I feel like I played this hand wrong on every street.

Hand No. 2 - 6 handed UB

Opening raiser has been opening / raising a lot of pots. BB has only recently sat down and I have not yet seen him raise PF. I have $170 and cover the table. I have been playing quite aggressivly, raising about 1/3 of the hands PF. Player to my immediate left has re-raised me small a few times, seemingly to isolate and I have either folded PF or laid down on the flop to his CB. I also showed down a bluff a few hands ago where I overbet pushed the turn with A2o after PF raising on the button and then re-raising a min-check raiser on a 986 rainbow flop and a 6 on the turn.

Hero picks up black kings in the cutoff. MP1 opens for $3.50, hero re-raises to $12, BB makes it $30.

Hero calls (push here always? I have position and I figure that a push folds TT, JJ always and QQ / AK usually. Fold? can this 2nd re-raise be anything but AA?).

Flop (pot $65ish): Jxx rainbow. BB open pushes for $55-ish.

do you ever fold this hand PF or on the flop? do you ever not add me to your buddy list?

edited to fix suits
Old 12-11-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: 2 Hands UB .50/1

Hand 1 is so terribly butchered that I'm not quite sure where to begin, but I guess the best place is pre-flop. Fold. You don't have the best hand and you don't have odds to draw to a flush. Villain's play looks a LOT like AA, and given the typical rockfest that UB is, villain did not make a flush. If I could ever see a reason for folding because you're worried about set over set, this is it. That said, I make the crying call. Also, you really HAVE to bet the turn. It's also a bad idea to try making plays at bloated pots. Either raise the flop or fold.

Hand 2 looks fine. I expect to see QQ a lot here.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:34 PM

The first hand is a fold preflop and a fold on the flop. The turn should be bet just because there is so much in there already. By the time you butchered this hand this i hope that whatever you end up doing on the river is wrong. I probably reluctantly call and beat myself up about it when its wrong. The post from was ugly too. ATX flop, open the handhistory please.

The 2nd hand is good. I think the call and push the flop is better than pushing preflop. No way you can fold unless the guy is incredibly tight or you know he never puts in a 3rd raise preflop with anything but aces.

Alex
Old 12-11-2005, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

My genius thinking at the time of Hand No.1 was that the villain had an overpair, so I was behind PF but I would stack him for 170BBs if I hit my 8 on the flop. Is this a call that nobody ever makes, especially considering we were playing HU? Much agreed about the turn - no way I shouldn't bet - but given my read as him holding an overpair I figured the chances of him drawing to a flush were slim and the small flop bet made me suspicious of AA (if my KK, QQ read was off).
Old 12-11-2005, 09:39 PM

do you always fold 88 here HU to a re-raise with position and with fairly deep stacks? I feel like this call was actually less bad than my call against a 3rd raiser with KK PF in the second hand.

anyways, AA both hands for villains and I punch myself in the face repeatedly both times for not seeing / not believing the obvious.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:43 PM

In hand one, yes, most people fold 88, even with posistion. Look up the 5/10 rule in the FAQ.