Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 04-09-2002, 11:57 PM

Default From 20-40 to 2-4, part 1 of 2 (long)

Saturday was one heck of a day. But it all started so innocent like.

The girlfriends daughter is at the ex’s for the day and I get the girlfriend for the whole day. All to myself. Sweet.

Wait.

Puppy class at 2pm for her new Yorkie. Love the dog, hate the lessons. At least, I hate the time the lessons take. Point being. I don’t get her for the whole day. By the time classes are done and she gets ready to go out, it’ll be something like 5ish.

What to do, what to do.

OK. Honey, don’t eat lunch, we’ll do an early dinner. Meet me at the Mirage when you are done. Deal? Deal.

I get to the Mirage at like 2:15pm. 10-20 list is deep and the “Jeff & Jimmy� show is playing at one of the tables. 10-20 no goot. 6-12 table is beatable but tough. The best game in the house is 20-40. Never played it though. Don’t have the bankroll for it actually. Heck, never played 15-30, even though I’ve played predominantly 10-20 for a month now.

D. Andrew suggests getting into the easy 20-40 game (there are two going). Note that this is the same game that Pokerbabe is in. Good game selection by her, or is there some cause and effect going on here? Haha, kidding. Of course the Babe is going to take the exercise good game selection.

Long story short, D. Andrew and myself go halves on the 20-40. He chickens out, but I keep his $500 buckeroos. Haha, sucker! Your money is going into the game.

But not the easy game.

Nope, Clarky gets seated in the hard game. The game with the regulars. The toughies. The professional brutes.

The game was fabulous.

So good that Clark declines his table change when it comes up.

Did I mention that it was my first time playing above 10-20? At least they’ll raise my cutoff post and I can fold, relax and burn the nerves off before getting to play a hand, right? Ummm, OK, I check the option with my 9-7o. 5 to the flop, OK, I’ve done this before. Checked to me on a Q-9-5 rainbow flop? Ummmm, I guess I bet. My hand is shaking as I put the chips out. Literally shaking.

They all fold. Clark is up $80 and racks up a winner for the day with a career 20-40 win rate of an astounding $2400/hr.

Just kidding. I kept playing. I fold for the rest of the round. Fold my blinds to 3-bets, and fold for most of the next round. Most of it.

Clark’s first hand in 20-40 while voluntarily entering a pot is……

American Airlines.

Oh boy. This has no chance of winning does it? Put yourself in my shoes and ask if this is the way you want your first real hand of 20-40 to go:

Clark: Raise, 3-bet, cold call, cold call, cold call, sb fold, BB call, Clark 4-bet, called aound.

Like I said. No chance. After going 4 bets on the flop on an uncoordinated board and wiping out the stragglers, I call down a set of queens headsup.

Welcome to the game Mr. Clarkmeister. Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

Ummmm, honey, is the puppy done with class yet?

A few hands later in my blind, I value bet a one card 8 high flush and get called by a one card 7 high flush on the river. QJs misses the flop, AQ runs into AK, I fold pocket 99 to 3 cold, and AK wins headsup after I 3-bet a tight UTG raiser.

Grand total: $-221

As I walk up to D. Andrew’s table he looks up hopefully. You know how puppies look up when they think they might get a treat? That kind of look.

I give him a concerned look and ask: “Did you hear that loud snapping sound a little bit ago?� He shakes his head, clearly a bit bemused. “Well, that was the sound of our pocket aces getting snappppppppppppppped off against 5 opponents for 4 bets preflop.�

The first three words out of his mouth were “I hate you.�

Hey, at least he got $390 change.

Observations: I was informed that this was a tough 20-40 table. If so, then I need to get my bankroll up fast. The action on my AA hand was typical. The one thing that really surprised me was just how much these players loved the “3-bet to isolate preflop with any pocket pair� play. The more I move up, the primary difference between the fish at the lower limits and the fish in the higher limits is just the level of aggression.

Oh well, minor loss and a good experience. And here comes the girlfriend right on time. Time for a nice relaxing night away from poker.

Ummmm, sorta……..

Part 2 coming soon

Old 04-10-2002, 12:07 AM

Default Re: From 20-40 to 2-4, part 1 of 2 (long)

You need to be at the dog lessons or the training won't sink in. The dog needs to work with you consistently so you will do what he wants. We sent ours to a trainer for two months and this delayed him in his progress. We are slowly understanding his commands though.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:26 AM

IMExperience the High Desert Poker Man is right on; if you're not at the lessons, the dog won't listen. Particularly a terrier, who aren't (again, IMExperience) notoriously good listeners anyway.

I also recommend the 'click and treat' method of training, although your trainer may advocate something different.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:42 AM

Fortunately the owner of the puppy (my girlfriend) is with the dog. I don't live with her so its not really my deal. Thanks to both HDPM and GD for your concern though. I'll ask the little lady if she is using this "click and treat" method.

I am, however, the only one who the dog leaves alone at dinner since I am the only one who *never* gives her table scraps. At least I eat in peace on the nights I am there.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:48 AM

"I am, however, the only one who the dog leaves alone at dinner since I am the only one who *never* gives her table scraps. At least I eat in peace on the nights I am there"

My point exactly. You need to be trained. I know to tell my dog "No!" and then when he sits and looks at me a certain pathetic and desperate way, I am supposed to give him the food he wants. It took him some time to break me and teach me this, but I eventually learned.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:23 AM

Default Dog-gone it.

Well, since you guys are chatting about dogs...The Babe has a Yorkie also. His name is Napoleon. I trained him myself and he is spoiled rotten (some training,eh?). He is a true "alpha male", and although I cannot prove it...I'm pretty sure he murdered my other Yorkie Walter. I came home one morning after my walk to find poor Walt floating in the pool. Napo was looking at him floating in there as if to say "oh...poor Walt", if only I could have saved him". But the Babe suspects he pushed Walt in because he was jealous of any shared affection from me! There is the slight possibility that Walter committed suicide because he was jealous of Napo, but I doubt it. These dogs are hard to train for sure, and I suspect that some of them are evil little trolls who just hide behind a cute face (are they good poker players, I wonder?) Babe
Old 04-10-2002, 12:45 AM

I have gotten very good at ignoring the dogs commands. Her "feed me" command while at the dinner table is particularly ineffective.

I am less resistant to the "rub my belly" command, however.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:22 AM

Default Reformatted above. *NM*