Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Diablo banned

WRT giving Diablo credit.

I like him a lot, I respect him a lot. However, from what I know, he wasn't just posting a rumor he heard. He was digging up information from other people and baiting jason in other posts.

Diablo hasn't posted much in the way of meaningful strat in a long time. I agree he's a fantastic poster when he wants to be, but I'm not sure that's a life time pass to make other people's lives difficult.

Still, I think the ban was incorrect, but I don't like pretending that he did nothing wrong, or that we should just ignore it when long time posters are going out of their way to be dicks to other people.

I think the rule that astro stated in OOT is perfect. Don't post stuff about other people unless you know they won't mind. Diablo is clearly smart enough to use context to figure out that jason and mslif have tried to keep things under wraps.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:26 PM

First off, the worst thing about this whole thing is I totally missed the thread before it got killed or whatever, so I don't get to know the gossip!

I think that everything important beyond that has been said:

1) there should be clear rules
2) not making exceptions is absurd
3) not treating people differently is absurd

I've got no problem sending a PM or IM to a guy saying why what he did was wrong, and trashing a bad post, who has 5000 good strategy posts, while at the same time banning or suspending some clown with 30 posts who does the exact same thing. The maturity of the poster should be considered very strongly.

sidenote: El D still posts strategy, just less often than he used to, and less directly than he used to.

meh.

btw, Dynasty, post some strategy man, you used to post good strategy from what i remember.

c
Old 12-08-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Diablo hasn't posted much in the way of meaningful strat in a long time. I agree he's a fantastic poster when he wants to be, but I'm not sure that's a life time pass to make other people's lives difficult.

Still, I think the ban was incorrect, but I don't like pretending that he did nothing wrong, or that we should just ignore it when long time posters are going out of their way to be dicks to other people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part, I still disagree with this.

[ QUOTE ]
2) not making exceptions is absurd

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? If it's a good enough idea to be made a rule, it shouldn't only apply to some people. I've always maintained that once you make something a stated policy or rule, it doesn't make sense to allow certain people to break it.

If a rule is flexible enough to allow some people to break it, while others have it enforced against them rigidly, I don't think it should have been made a rule in the first place.

Guidelines have always been the best way to go, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
3) not treating people differently is absurd

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always agreed with this.

Since there is a good chance nobody wants to hear me go on and on about my thoughts about rules, I'll shut up about it for now. Most of you guys already know what I think anyway.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part, I still disagree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think there should be many clear rules, just that those that exist should be clear. my agreement and reasoning for your other points follows from this, i think. so i'm not quoting any more.

as a totally off the wall and Ulysses/El D loving kinda guy idea, what would people think about the following, as he's clearly 1) the type of guy who this site wants around in general and specific, 2) got a good head on his shoulders - pokerwise, lifewise, and rationality wise -

what would people think about giving him access to this area? i don't know what would be entailed in that, or if he would want to do it, but i think that there's some matters of rules and such that he'd have a good perspective on, both due to his intelligence and his closer to long run view of this site than many of us.

dan
Old 12-08-2005, 05:17 PM

So, I missed the original thread, WHAT'S THE ANSWER, DID IT SAY??

I think the play I would have made is probably to delete the thread if it was requested by the parties who are being talked about. Then PM'ed the poster, telling them why.

I do sort of agree overall that the posters have a right to personal privacy though. I'd bet if J.A. Sucker or Boris posted a real life pic of El D, with his name, for example, he probably wouldn't be too happy about it.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

as a totally off the wall and Ulysses/El D loving kinda guy idea, what would people think about the following, as he's clearly 1) the type of guy who this site wants around in general and specific, 2) got a good head on his shoulders - pokerwise, lifewise, and rationality wise -

[/ QUOTE ]

I nominate El Diablo for the Beats, Brags and Variance forum moderator.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, i think that's a nice way of getting him access to stuff and not encumbering him with needless responsibility. he has previously said he wants to not be a moderator, but if he's interested in the other stuff, he would probably not mind being the mod of the bb&v forum, since moderating it is unnecessary. also, because it's his playground.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, i think that's a nice way of getting him access to stuff and not encumbering him with needless responsibility. he has previously said he wants to not be a moderator, but if he's interested in the other stuff, he would probably not mind being the mod of the bb&v forum, since moderating it is unnecessary. also, because it's his playground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts. Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else have an opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm almost positive that Diablo has always been welcome to be a mod. If someone can politely persuade him to do it, BBV should be just fine.