Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Fundamentals review

I think I am mis/overplaying overcards and am leaking money. With a flop like this is a checkfold best against 2 OOP or is my line OK?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

BET Hero , $3
RAISE chevelle7010, $6
FOLD magma2
FOLD Hero

Final Pot: 3 BB
Old 10-14-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Fundamentals review

I think your line is fine, and I call on the flop when villain raises and it's 9:1 back to me. Depends a little on the player, but most people won't play a 7 this way, I think most of your outs are clean.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 AM

This is way weak. Fish LOVE to bluff on paired boards, especially raggedy ones like this. I am often taking this to showdown UI, and just about never folding the flop.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:36 AM

This was a hand today where i decided I was seeing the turn too often UI. Looking at the hand now this wasn't a place to fold. SHould I have checked the flop or was bet call a better line?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:37 AM

Bet flop every time. You probably have the best hand and have to cover for the times you have an overpair.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:23 AM

something to think about that a lot of people probably disagree with. Is if you are having trouble playing your overcards, just call in these situations preflop. That way you only put in 1 SB as opposed to 3(raise and auto bet on flop) when you are out of position. This play also disguises your hand, and you may get payed more when an ace flops. Just something to think about. Any one have any thoughts on just calling preflop here?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
something to think about that a lot of people probably disagree with. Is if you are having trouble playing your overcards, just call in these situations preflop. That way you only put in 1 SB as opposed to 3(raise and auto bet on flop) when you are out of position. This play also disguises your hand, and you may get payed more when an ace flops. Just something to think about. Any one have any thoughts on just calling preflop here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it disguises your hand anymore. If you call, the pot is a mere 3SB. You hit an ace, you bet, they all fold.

Building the pot preflop is superior. Isolating a weak limp is even better.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:48 AM

Ok...I definitely agree with raising the AJ. I just wanted to get some discussion going on this thought process, because I have also talked with players who limp in early position with big aces and KQ type hands. Does any one else ever do this? I used to raise every time, but at times I have limped just to mix it up and add deception. I have won some big pots using this method but also end up throwing away AK more than I like to. I think playing this way lowers variance but I don't think it is the most profitable way to play. Any thoughts?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:49 AM

Limping in, especially in SH online play, sucks.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limping in, especially in SH online play, sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

See that is what I had thought for quite some time, but this was advice from a respected pro and it just got me thinking a little differntly. Why do you think limping sucks so bad as opposed to raising? I'm looking for a little game theory here I guess.