Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 08:31 PM

Default How to deal with drunks?

Hey guys. I just got back from a trip to Turning Stone. While there, I had an interesting hand with a drunk guy. He was cold-calling raises with garbage, and raising/capping every round with as little as high cards. I couldn't wait to get into a pot with him, when finally this one came up:

(3/6 Hold'em) (10 handed) (my image is SOLID)
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero Raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Drunk says "Well I can't let you get away with that" and Calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero Bets</font>, Drunk Calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero Bets</font>, Drunk Raises, <font color="red">Hero Reraises</font>, Drunk Reraises, <font color="red">Hero Calls</font>

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero checks</font>, Drunk Bets, <font color="red">Hero Calls</font>.

Results: Drunk shows 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and takes it down

sooo...when do I know to stop being so aggressive with the drunk?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: How to deal with drunks?

How to deal with a drunk gut at the table gamboooling it up? The only viable strategy here is to order many many drinks and fight fire with fire.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When he sobers. I think you played it fine.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:16 PM

Looks good.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:01 PM

Don't stop being aggressive with drunks. In small stakes hold'em most the profit comes from weak players calling down to the end with marginal holdings. A drunk player is a great example of one of those players.

When they are calling everything preflop punish them for playing with weak hands. Raise and reraise. There are gonna be times where the flop is greatly to their advantage. This is one of those times. Other times its gonna be to your advantage and you are going to play it just as you did here and get called to the river by a marginal hand and win.

Don't let this beat upset you. Your brain and play tricks on you and look at this negative result (clearly when you did everything right with a drunk in IMO) and make you stop being aggressive because "Your gonna get called to the river by drunks." Great. Use that to your advantage and punish them.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys. I just got back from a trip to Turning Stone. While there, I had an interesting hand with a drunk guy. He was cold-calling raises with garbage, and raising/capping every round with as little as high cards. I couldn't wait to get into a pot with him, when finally this one came up:

(3/6 Hold'em) (10 handed) (my image is SOLID)
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero Raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Drunk says "Well I can't let you get away with that" and Calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero Bets</font>, Drunk Calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero Bets</font>, Drunk Raises, <font color="red">Hero Reraises</font>, Drunk Reraises, <font color="red">Hero Calls</font>

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero checks</font>, Drunk Bets, <font color="red">Hero Calls</font>.

Results: Drunk shows 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and takes it down

[/ QUOTE ]

Play it this way 8 days a week and three times on Sunday. Don't let the end results discourage you.

Here's a hand between me and a drunk from Saturday.

Live $6/12 at the Trop
Hero has the BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 callers, Hero raises, all call.

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets, 3 callers

Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, Drunk raises, 2 folds, Hero calls

River T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Drunk bets, Hero calls

The Drunk showed down J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hands with drunks will turn out like mine did more often than not. Don't let a bad beat discourage you.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys. I just got back from a trip to Turning Stone. While there, I had an interesting hand with a drunk guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't serve alcohol at Turning Stone. Was he drinking liquor out of a paper bag?
Old 06-19-2005, 11:28 PM

This

[ QUOTE ]
He was cold-calling raises with garbage, and raising/capping every round with as little as high cards

[/ QUOTE ]

+

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: T, 7, 7
Hero Bets, Drunk Calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

=

[ QUOTE ]
when do I know to stop being so aggressive with the drunk?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't trust that read enough to muck my hand, especially after hitting TP on the turn, but I don't know that 3-betting the turn after he flat called that flop is a good idea.