Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 04:01 PM

Default I planned this all out, and I\'m wondering if I got really lucky

So i decide I'm going to limp re-raise with a little pocket pair UTG at some point during this session, because I think it might be a valuable play to have...I don't know if it is or not, but I decided it might be.....here is the hand...

It's Party 100....my database is screwed up right now, so I don't have the hand, but I know it exactly

I've got $150, I have the villian covered by about $20..

I get black 5s UTG....I limp in...folded around to LMP, and a fellow raises it up to 4..He is a decent player who always opens for a raise, never limps in, and hasn't gotten out of line post flop...I think this is the perfect time to LRR...So it's folded back to me, and I make it 12 to go.....He calls pretty quick...

$26.75 in the pot

Flop:
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet 25

Thoughts??
Old 04-15-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: I planned this all out, and I\'m wondering if I got really lucky

Fine; obviously you're done with the hand if he calls or raises, assuming you don't spike on the turn. Since you limp-reraised, you have to bet this flop, and if he's a decent player, he will know that it hit a limp-reraiser. Unless he has AK+, he's gone here.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:59 PM

Okay, just checking

Obviously he mucked...
Old 04-15-2005, 06:33 PM

I think your bet is a bit big here. Your LRR represents AA or KK, and you would not likely pot the flop if you hit your set. Maybe 3/4 pot would be better and would serve the same purpose.

Note: This depends on villain recognizing the LRR and what hands are typically LRR'ed. If he doesn't, then the smaller bet may be construed as weakness instead of strength.

-Trail
Old 04-15-2005, 09:38 PM

yeah...I considered this when I was betting, and I decided that if he didn't recognize the limp re-raise, he may not want to call a big bet without an ace...If I bet half the pot, he may call with a K or worse, and freeze me, when he would have mucked otherwise...

I decided that I was better off putting pressure on him, just in case
Old 04-16-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah...I considered this when I was betting, and I decided that if he didn't recognize the limp re-raise, he may not want to call a big bet without an ace...If I bet half the pot, he may call with a K or worse, and freeze me, when he would have mucked otherwise...

I decided that I was better off putting pressure on him, just in case

[/ QUOTE ]

I disaggree (with whoever said to reduce the bet size)...

With "your set" you want to shut down this flop: it's a BIG flop and could really hurt "your hand" on the turn and/or river. Therefore you've got to bet it big, and take it down now.

Also, you've already clearly communicated the value of "your hand", so "slowplaying" is out of the question here. Again, if he's going to "chase", make him pay.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:00 PM

I'm not sure why you would limp reraise in this game. People are generally not very perceptive at all at 50/1 PP. If nothing else, online, at this level, making this move will probably confuse you on future hands. That's because if you show this hand down (and accomplish the advertising you had to be going for), you are going to start wondering if opponents are playing back at you on the flop when you do limp reraise with aa. You're essentially setting up a big hand with aa or kk against an opponent for whom you will not know if he even saw your previous play. I think you're becoming too concerned with image and since this obviously isn't the most +EV to play 55, I would remove this from your reptroire AT THIS LEVEL. As for betting the flop you have to follow through, but that probably is one of the absolute worst flops you could see considering your hand and line. His fold is not obvious at all, as he's calling with almost any ace and any spade draw.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:16 PM

nh

fold to a raise