Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Trouble at the Tournaments (Online)

I don't know if anybody saw any of my other posts somewhere down the line about always being at the bottom of the tournament placings, or struggling along with the raising the blinds.
I play a fairly tight game. I normally raise with Pocket Pairs TT and above, and I limp in with high, connected (suited or not suited).
Would playing suited connectors open up my game some more? I know that a lot of players like to play A8 or A9, something with an Ace, just because it is an ace. By suited connectors, I'm talking about cards like 56s, 67s, 78s, 9Ts, and up.
I'm trying to figure out a way to loosen up so I can be a part of the chip leaders and make my way through tournaments without a problem.

Even tonight I played in a poker tournament for my college. Out of 60 players, I placed 9th, but I got squeezed out by the blinds. I played 45 one time and got a straight, but I think that was total luck on the draw of the cards.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Trouble at the Tournaments (Online)

read harington on holdem
Old 12-08-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
read harington on holdem

[/ QUOTE ]

Got 1 and 2 on order...but in the mean time...
Old 12-08-2005, 01:26 AM

You cannot just think about starting cards. You must also consider position and your stack size relative to blinds and antes (M). If you are folding pocket 77 when its been folded around to you on the button because it's not TT or better, you're playing too tight. On the other hand, folding AJo or TT UTG could be wise.

You can add suited connectors but don't limp- raise. If you raise with big hands and limp with small, its obvious when you have which one.

Also consider your stack size. If you have an M of 10 or less, you need to pick some cards and make a move- preferably when it's not been raised in front of you, preferably from mid or late position, preferably with some kind of cards such as two suited connectors above 23, Ace almost anything, K8 or higher, QT or higher, any pair.

Also, if you have junk when your stack is above an M of 10, you can make a steal attempt. It's easier to lay down junk to a re-raise.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:34 AM

i dont think he knows what M and UTg even mean. italion these types of posts do not get replyed to. just study any books u can find, play as much as u can, and read the posts here.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think he knows what M and UTg even mean. italion these types of posts do not get replyed to. just study any books u can find, play as much as u can, and read the posts here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know what M and UTG mean. I'm not oblivious to the game of poker. I have read Getting Started In Hold Em. I read Small Stakes Hold Em. I am getting through the Theory of Poker, I have the Psychology of Poker and Hold Em for Advanced Players. I am also getting 1 and 2 of Harrington on Holdem for Christmas.

I'm trying to work on my game some more and figure out where my leaks are.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:48 AM

I think an important thing to consider is that even if you play perfect poker, you're still not placing most of the time, and you're going to be among the chip leaders and make it the final table even less. Just play a lot and read on here and I'm sure you'll pick it up.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:03 AM

I usually try to take flops cheaply with suited connectors when I have chips to play with. You could maybe play A8 or A9 from late position.
Just a question, do you consider your position at all when you determine your starting, your original post indicates you don't.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This hurt my head. Where do you usually play, so I can join you?

Or

Tis hert my hed. Wear do u usely play, so i can join u?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This hurt my head. Where do you usually play, so I can join you?

Or

Tis hert my hed. Wear do u usely play, so i can join u?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were asking me, I normally play at PokerStars. I have played on PartyPoker. My roommate had me play for him on BoDog. I downloaded FullTilt to see what it was like, but never played with real money. I recently cashed out of Pokerstars with a modest $14 profit because I have been struggling and I want to concentrate on reading the books that I have before I struggle some more and not know what I am doing wrong. It gets frustrating when you're up 40$ and then lose most of it within 3 days.