Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 11:15 AM

Default 5/10 6 max, min raise ok?

villian has played solid TAG poker for 45 minutes and has not raised my BB once.

Hero (1600) w/ the BB, villian (1200) w/ the SB

folds around to SB who raises to 30, Hero with 33 calls.

flop 3c 5h 10c

Villian bets 40, Hero min raises?? thoughts

I never min raise but w/ two clubs on the board thought villian might but me on a club draw. anyone else make this play here?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: 5/10 6 max, min raise ok?

i don't really care about this hand; rather, wanted to get some other opinions on the min raise. Do you ever use it? Do you never use it? I've always heard/read that min raising in NL is a bad play but so many people use it online to get a free card or with a monster. i'm starting to think that there is a place for the min raise in my game. not that it matters... but in the hand above the SB moved all in with KK.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:09 PM

here, with the min-raise, you're giving him great odds for his possible flush draw. that's why in this spot I would either call or reraise pot size and give him incorrect odds to draw.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:42 PM

The place for the minraise, is when you know what a minraise means when your opponent makes it and you want to represent that hand to him.

Or, if he doesn't know you, and probably assumes you're bad, you can use it to mimic what a bad player would do. As far as real, non-deceptive value, I don't know - I only use it in the above cases, and rarely.

An example would be if a pot is big enough that I care - maybe some heavyish PF action and the flop is paired - like TT4 - I might find a minraise somewhere in there if my opponent is a minraise kind of guy.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The place for the minraise, is when you know what a minraise means when your opponent makes it and you want to represent that hand to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great advice... You can also apply this to other types of moves. I've stopped doing this as much lately (damn multitabling) but remember it working well w/ most opponents.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't really care about this hand; rather, wanted to get some other opinions on the min raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I use it is when table is short handed and it folds to me on the button and I hold AA or KK. The line looks like a weak steal and gets re-raised or called by weaker hands. I will call a re-raise (but sit and "think" for a minute). Since they are first to act on the flop, generally they'll stick in a bet to end the confrontation...you can choose what you want to do here based on texture. Ill play KK faster than AA.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Default great post

that is all.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:11 PM

60 in the pot, he bets 40, you raise to 80, making the pot $180 back to him and he pushes $1130 in? I'd say he's much more aggressive than tight.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
60 in the pot, he bets 40, you raise to 80, making the pot $180 back to him and he pushes $1130 in? I'd say he's much more aggressive than tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was my read on him prior to this hand, my read has changed.