Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Ivey/Moneymaker WSOP 2003

This is from the NY Times' review of Moneymaker's new book.

[ QUOTE ]
We get to meet poker's stars, if only briefly -- notably Chan, who fondles a lucky (and slightly rancid) orange at the table, and Ivey, a young player with a penchant for basketball jerseys and sulky behavior (he wouldn't shake Moneymaker's hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't take notice of this when it was on ESPN, but now that I think of it, you don't see them shake hands. Has anyone read the book,and does he go into any more detail about the situation? Or does anyone know anything else about this?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Ivey/Moneymaker WSOP 2003

Post a link please.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:12 PM

I can't say for sure. But i think Phil was a gracious gentleman about the whole beat. He may or may not have shaked his hand. But if he didn't it might have been becasue phil was already walking away and didn't se the hand out. Phil I. by most accounts acts like a gentleman.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:23 PM

I distinctly remember Ivey snubbing Moneymaker. In his defense it was an amazing and brutal hand.

From memory,
MM: AQ
Ivey: 99
Flop: QQx Ivey checks and MM slowplays with a check
Turn: 9 Ivey bets or CRs, either way they get the money in and MM lets out a groan.
River: A

Ivey is speechless and clearly walks right past an extended MM hand. It was bad form IMO despite the circumstances though I've never taken a beat like that with nearly as much $$ on the line.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:41 PM

actually moneymaker bet the flop and ivey called, then moneymaker bet again on the turn and ivey moved in.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:17 PM

You didn't see them shake hands when the hand went down because it got edited out... but at the end of the episode where they recap MM taking down all the big names you see Ivey shake his hand very breifly as he walks by when they replay the ending of the hand. I am almost 100% sure of this.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:52 PM

Then why does he say in the book that Ivey wouldn't shake his hand?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:06 PM

alright i went back to the tape... moneymaker extends his hand but ivey bypasses it to shake dan harrington's hand. as ivey walks by, moneymaker tries to grab ahold but ends up just patting him on the back.

i didnt really notice this before, but can you really blame ivey? he maintained his composure. that was probably the most on tilt he's ever been... except maybe when freddy deeb 2-outed him with set over set. "must be the shirt."
Old 05-09-2005, 02:28 PM

I remember this hand vividly. It seemed clear that Ivey was in a bit of a daze and simply walked past MM. It did not appear to be a "slight" in any way, shape, or form. When players pointedly refuse to shake others' hands (Lederer/Tony G; Raymer/Matusow), it's quite obvious. In this case, it was equally obvious that no slight was intended.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:36 PM

I don't know that I would shake his hand either. I would be on tilt for the rest of my life.