Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 07:58 PM

Default 3 hands I may have overplayed (2/4 6-max)

Hand 1, all players at table have between $500 and $550 except shorty. Table has been pretty aggressive with a fair amount of preflop raising and reraising.

UTG folds, I raise AKo to $16 UTG+1, CO, button, and SB call, shorty in BB pushes for $68, I push for $550

My thinking here was that, if somebody had AA or KK, I'd've heard about it before now. There's tons of dead money in the pot so pushing to isolate the short stack is a massive overbet but I can't see myself being in any real trouble even if somebody calls.

Hand 2:

I have only 2 orbits with SB and haven't seen him do anything notable. He's been sitting with significantly less than the buyin since I got here so I'll be prejudiced and assume he isn't good. Folded to SB, he makes it $10, I reraise to $35 with AKo, he makes it $80, I push (he only had $276 to start the hand, I cover).

Hand 3

I have no read at all on villain as this was my 2nd hand at the table. Villain opens for $20 UTG+1, folded to me in SB, I make it $65 with KcKh, BB folds, villain calls.

Flop comes Qd6c5c, I bet $100, villain pushes, I call.
Edit: started hand 3 with $400
Old 09-21-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: 3 hands I may have overplayed (2/4 6-max)

Hand 1 is ok, no one is calling without AA-QQ, which you most likely would have heard from earlier, unless CO tried to trap. I guess you got called by some mid-pocket? Sucks, but with the dead money you're probably good. It's also good for your image, especially if shorty has AA/KK, and people complain that they would have busted him. It's also nice that people will mistakenly add AKo to your range of "all-in pre-flop hands".

Hand 2 is iffy. I don't think he's re-raising with weaker aces here, and he's already got 1/4 his stack in ... if you've seen previous play that points out he's a donk, it's good, but with no real reads, I'm not liking this one.

Hand 3 I don't like at all. How much did he push for? I see no way in which you're winning, unless he has specifically AcQc. You holding the Kc discounts AcKc.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:08 PM

Sorry forgot stack sizes in hand 3; I had $400 to start the hand, he covered.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:34 PM

Hand 1

Fine

Hand 2

Meh, I shrug and fold. The fact that he 3-raised to $80 makes me think he has nothing less than a premium pair (unless of course he is just 3-stealing). Unless he is a total idiot he does not do this with a strong ace.

If he was stealing, he is not calling. And as I don't think he'd do this with atleast Qs or maybe Js, I fold. Big dog or slight favourite and there is not enough dead money in there to make it worthwhile IMO.

Hand 3

I see nothing you beat.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:55 PM

Hand 3... I don't see how anyone could tell you that you are behind here... I think that is terrible advice... Q65 flop with 2 clubs and hes behind?

This is the type of flop you want with KK. would you have rather seen A65? I dont understand the logic behind telling him hand 3 is a bad move... You raised 65, bet 100, thats 165, just go all in...

If you need a better flop than this to push with KK, just muck it preflop...

The only hands i see you LOSING to here are AA being smooth called preflop... Hes probably on a flush draw with A2 clubs or something...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3... I don't see how anyone could tell you that you are behind here... I think that is terrible advice... Q65 flop with 2 clubs and hes behind?

This is the type of flop you want with KK. would you have rather seen A65? I dont understand the logic behind telling him hand 3 is a bad move... You raised 65, bet 100, thats 165, just go all in...

If you need a better flop than this to push with KK, just muck it preflop...

The only hands i see you LOSING to here are AA being smooth called preflop... Hes probably on a flush draw with A2 clubs or something...

[/ QUOTE ]

think of the action. vilain raises 5BB on a 400NL table, he calls a substantial reraise. At this level with no reads you can assume a pretty big hand. How big? Maybe AA-JJ and AK. This is a stop and go, simply calling wiht AA to milk a flop, or hoping to outflop with lower hands. What hands come over the top with a Q high flop for an all in assuming a decent play at this level? AA and QQ namely. Do you think JJ makes this play? Do you really think AQ saw this flop and decided to go broke?
Old 09-22-2005, 03:08 AM

On hand 1: I like your thought process and would do the same thing, that is, isolate the short stack against my A-K. I really don't like pushing though. You're only going to get called by someone with a big hand, and I don't want to risk all of my money with A-K. But most importantly, I think reraising to something like $130-150 would have the same effect. No one's calling that kind of raise unless they have a real big hand, and if anyone comes over the top of that and pushes in, well you're probably beat. But I think that has the effect of isolating without having to put all your money in preflop with A-K.

Hand 3: Without a read, I have to fold. If you know he's capable of playing A-Q this way, then call. But you have to have a read that he's able to way over play top pair to call for your whole stack with just an overpair.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:03 AM

Hand 1 - looks good, well played
Hand 2 - I probably just call preflop, hit an A or K and then try to get all in with shorty. The small raise and 3-bet from a shorty smells bad.
Hand 3 - I hate Q-high flops when I have KK. But still you are ahead of AQ, and you just never know. KK is hard to play.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On hand 1: I like your thought process and would do the same thing, that is, isolate the short stack against my A-K. I really don't like pushing though. You're only going to get called by someone with a big hand, and I don't want to risk all of my money with A-K. But most importantly, I think reraising to something like $130-150 would have the same effect. No one's calling that kind of raise unless they have a real big hand, and if anyone comes over the top of that and pushes in, well you're probably beat. But I think that has the effect of isolating without having to put all your money in preflop with A-K.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with getting the money in preflop with AK? If I make it $150 to go and get a caller, I have a PSB left in my stack on the flop and will be out of position. If I continuation bet, I have to call a raise all-in whether I hit or miss. 3betting preflop and check/folding a ragged flop would suck, too. At least if I put it in preflop, I get to see all 5 cards.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:30 AM

I think you are being close minded about the possible hands... This is SHORTHANDED, this guy could have Q9, A2clubs, 65, 78, and so on... He could have anything... I wouldnt even try to put him on any range of hands... I would suspect a bluff in this situation...

Thinking the way you guys do, im sure you get bluffed out of so many pots its unbelievable... I see so much weak KK play on this forum its funny...

I can understand if the flop came, an Ace, or a str8 showing, or a flush on teh board, or trips... But jeese... Q65? That is the ideal flop i look for when i raise with KK... What would you hope for? K72? Lol, is that you ideal flop to hit with KK?