Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 09:03 PM

Default The Psychology of Poker by Dr. Al

First, I want to tell everyone not to get all upset because this should go under the books and publications forum. Basically, I was about to post it there and realized that I'd probably get better replies here (especially because the author will probably answer the question [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). Besides I will probably post this question under books and publications later.

Is this a good book? What type of ideas does it discuss? How will it help me be a better poker player (aka why should I purchase it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: The Psychology of Poker by Dr. Al

It can be useful to help you understand why you
play, and why others play.

How this affects your play should be obvious,
but I'll let others explain.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 PM

I just got it. I obviously can't give you my review of it yet but I'm looking forward to reading it. It looks pretty interesting.

I like Dr. Al's articles (see his cardplayer articles as well as his articles here in the 2+2 magazine).
I don't always agree with his perspective but I think he is a sharp thinker and good writer and always does a good job of explaining his observations.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:01 AM

It's worth reading.. however, you probably want to follow it up with Feeney's book. Dr. Al's book is to Feeney's as WLLH is to SSHE.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:06 AM

I didn't get much from this book at all. Inside The Poker Mind is much better IMO.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:41 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

It's a great book that my not be noticed at first read since there is no cookie cutter, hand holding plays in it.

If you really want to understand how opponents play, and some of the reasoning behind how they play, this book is great. Which is a component I find greatly lacking on the forum favoring the blanket approach instead. I've toyed with the idea of posting a thread questioning where the knowing the psychology of opponents has gone today.

I've found it very helpful in helping me deal with players I had problems with. In todays game, I think this book is underrated for the reasons stated above.

b
Old 06-11-2005, 07:36 AM

"Why should I buy it?"

Game selection is the single most important poker lesson one needs to learn. Dr Al's book will give you what you need to increase your hourly earn rate in this area.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:43 AM

Here are my comments from the Recommended Readings of my forthcoming book, "Poker Psychology Essays."

"Inside the Poker Mind." It is a much more advanced book than "The Psychology of Poker." It provides concepts you need to beat larger games and tougher players.

Mason published a basic and an advanced psychology text for the same reason that he has published GSIH, SSH, and HPFAP. Books should be targetted to clearly defined audiences, and they should be read in sequence.

If you are an advanced player, you should buy ITPM, not POP. I must point out that not many authors tell people "don't buy my book." One of the greatest weaknesses of most poker literature is that it does not have a clearly defined target audience. I have read many statements that a book will help everyone from the beginner to the expert. That is utter, absolute BS.

If you are relatively inexperienced, or do not have good insights into your own and other people's thoughts and actions, you should buy POP and then follow it up with ITPM.

Regards,

Al
Old 06-11-2005, 12:45 PM

His & Feeney's book contain excellent info on the psychological & emotional aspects of the game. As a regular no-limit player, I found these books to be very useful and helped me deal with the nuances of the game.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:23 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />

If you are an advanced player, you should buy ITPM, not POP. I must point out that not many authors tell people "don't buy my book." One of the greatest weaknesses of most poker literature is that it does not have a clearly defined target audience. I have read many statements that a book will help everyone from the beginner to the expert. That is utter, absolute BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Respect to you, sir.