Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Bought a set of Shure Headphones Today..Help!

So...based on the advice of this forum I bought a pair of Shure E2C's today.

I took them out...fiddled with a few different grips(any recommendations there??)

But they sound like total crap! No bass at all. They sound alot worse than the 12$ pair I bought at Target a couple of weeks ago to tie me over until Christmas.

Anyone have any tips w/ these things? Experienced the same things? Help...
Old 12-21-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Bought a set of Shure Headphones Today..Help!

advice?

take them back and try to get a refund?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:12 PM

If you can, keep them for at least a week and try different earpieces. In general, with IEMs, you're not going to feel the bass as much as you're going to "hear" it.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:13 PM

If there's absolutely no bass, take them back, but bass is hard to get on headphones, for obvious reasons.

From what I hear, the hands down best ear extention things that came with my e4c's do not come with any of the lower models and must be purchased seperately. I don't know if they increase quality a ton or not since I never use the other ones, but someone else might. If you can afford it though, take them back and get the e4c's. I've heard it's well worth the monetary difference.

GoT

these sound like monitoring headphones. they are suposed to have a "flat" response curve. IE there is no boost in base or high end, rather it allows you to get a clean image of the sound you are listening to (usually for studio mixing, but mixing on headphones is a dumb thing to do).
Old 12-21-2005, 10:50 PM

You don't have them in right. I have a pair of e2c's and would never go back. The bass response isn't quite what it is with some of the other crappier headphones - but this isn't the fault of Shure. These are studio quality phones. Brands like Sony up the bass on their [censored] for asshats who want to listen to HollaBack girl at 120dB and hear nothing but *thump* *thump* *thump*

If you're not hearing the amount of bass you think you ought to be hearing, I would recommend refitting them. 99% of the time, the lack of bass is because the buds haven't formed a tight enough seal with your ear canal.

FYI - I listen with the medium foam inserts. The rubber inserts are too large and tend to come out easily. While the foam inserts don't kill as much external noise (and you have to hold them in place longer - around 10 seconds), they form a great seal with my ear and ensure a great sound.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:25 AM

I recently bought the same headphones, and had the same problem at first, until I realized that when I shoved them in my ears harder (which I guess would create a tighter seal) the bass suddenly appeared.

I haven't tried the foam inserts - I think the manual described them as "disposable", does that mean you're supposed to replace them frequently? I'm having the same problems you mentioned with the rubber ones, and find them slightly uncomfortable.