Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 06:16 PM

Default man i feel like i gotta bet/raise SOMEWHERE here

or is this just right? guy seems loose/passive from the 30 or so HU hands ive played with him. likes to chase, likes to see if youre bluffing, generally the guy you can really value bet against.

his limp/rr basically screams monster at me, though, but i cant see what he calls on the river that i beat. turn bet look ok or would that just be spewing?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (2 handed) converter

BB ($260.75)
Hero ($265.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
BB calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $21</font>, Hero calls $13.

Flop: ($41) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $22</font>, Hero calls $22.

Turn: ($85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($85) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: man i feel like i gotta bet/raise SOMEWHERE here

Seems like he either wants you to bet his overpair for him, or he got sick of your aggression and began randomly spewing chips and then gave up.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:22 PM

I would really think about folding preflop. After the flop he looks like he have AK, I would play it the same as I really dont see any worst hand calling you there. But as you said you never know, I would be tempted by a 1/3 - 1/2 pot bet on the river for him to call with a small pair with a hand he was trying to make a move preflop.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:25 PM

I'm definately firing on the turn. At least 1/2 pot if not more.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:44 PM

I like to bet turn or river. I think river may be better, the check behind could be deceptive. Villian doesn't check a hand that's beating you here, river bet like 50 I think is good.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:00 PM

I agree you probably have the best hand, but that does not really mean a bet is mandatory as no better hands are folding and very few, if any, worse hands are calling (maybe a middling pocket pair).

I do often bet in these spots simply for metagame reasons. I want my opponents to think I am aggressive and a tough opponent and I don't like to show my cards, but those things might lose importance if you get check-raised. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 07:05 PM

Those few hands make the difference. No better hands are folding here because no better hands check both the turn and the river. You're not up against a better hand here, so a bet is good. I get called by AK here, as well as a lot of pairs.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those few hands make the difference. No better hands are folding here because no better hands check both the turn and the river. You're not up against a better hand here, so a bet is good. I get called by AK here, as well as a lot of pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive never had AK look me up here, at best youll occasionally get a middle pair. I say attack the weakness and go after him on the turn with 2/3rd pot bet.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive never had AK look me up here, at best youll occasionally get a middle pair. I say attack the weakness and go after him on the turn with 2/3rd pot bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will get you in serious trouble more often than not, and given that we are seriously WA/WB here (villain drawing to 2-3 outs most likely, hero drawing to 2-5 or dead), a check is easy.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:37 PM

basically a turn bet is out of the question, he can def check-raise here with AA-JJ. once he checks the river again though, i can't really see him having a hand i beat, yet i cant really see him calling with any hand i beat either - and i save myself the trouble of folding to a check-raise from the times he really decides to "slowplay" AA/KK.

anyways he had AK, and im still not sure about a river bet. also pre-flop call is probably marginal too, but im a sucker that way.