Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-22-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Big pot with TPTK

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate 100bb stacks

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been thinking about how big the buy-in stack should be. If you are a good player but perhaps not the best player at the table, it seems like it's better to go with a medium stack around 50 bb instead. That way you still cover most of the poor players and you don't risk as much against the good players.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I was referring to the fact that 100bb is too short stacked. Pot sized bets on the flop and turn leaves less than a pot sized bet on the river. I hope online moves to 200bb stacks soon.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:33 PM

Yeah, I don't like 100bb either sometimes. If you get 2 callers on a potsized bet on the flop you're practically allin right there, like this hand shows
Old 12-22-2005, 12:34 PM

The main problem I see here, is raising 6 dollars preflop with AQ out of position on at least a couple possible callers. I believe I play more conservatively preflop than many, but I just don't like building a large pot for a hand like AQ that doesn't really have a whole lot of big hand potential beyond TPTK.

By raising 6x and a caller, you make the pot so large that making a pot sized bet at this point (which is probably the correct play) basically commits the rest of your stack with just a pair of queens. And this guy DID call a 6x preflop raise cold... he could very easily have KK or something of the likes.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope online moves to 200bb stacks soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has if you play at Absolute.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:41 PM

6xbb in the CO with AQ and 2 limpers is fairly standard.

EDIT - Whoops. Thought hero was CO. But Hero does still have position on the 2 limpers.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6xbb in the CO with AQ and 2 limpers is fairly standard.

EDIT - Whoops. Thought hero was CO. But Hero does still have position on the 2 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard or not, I'm just saying these are situations I like to avoid, because I don't like commiting all of my chips with TPTK, which is what you are playing for with AQ.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate 100bb stacks

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been thinking about how big the buy-in stack should be. If you are a good player but perhaps not the best player at the table, it seems like it's better to go with a medium stack around 50 bb instead. That way you still cover most of the poor players and you don't risk as much against the good players.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I was referring to the fact that 100bb is too short stacked. Pot sized bets on the flop and turn leaves less than a pot sized bet on the river. I hope online moves to 200bb stacks soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet another reason why I prefer 6-max. You'll have much more HU and 3 handed pots on the flop and much more room on latter streets.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:04 PM

Tough spot. I'm probably playing it the same way and getting stacked.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:02 PM

Having no reads sucks, but if you assume he's solid, he cold-called a solid raise preflop, so he must have 77,88,QQ, or AK of diamonds. We'll assume AA or KK would have reraised preflop, so rule those out.

There's one each left of 77,88, and QQ, and one AKd. We'll assume that he'll bluff with the missed diamond draw, though that may not be true and actually would push you towards folding. So it's 3:1 you're beat on the river.

On the river you have to call $53 to win $195.5 , so you need to be 27% to win to call. You are 25% to win, so on pot odds it's a very thin fold. It looks like calling and folding are about the same EV here.

However, with no reads I'd have to add in some donk-factor and err on the side of calling. There's also some chances of a split pot which push it towards calling.

Against a tight/passive player who's unlikely to bluff with a missed draw here, it's an easy fold.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a smaller stack it seems like players doesn't recognize you as a good player as when you have a big stack. I think I have been getting more calls on my big hands when I have played with a smaller stack

[/ QUOTE ]
I think there is something to be said about this; when I'm sitting on top of 300B I've been noticing that people tend to give me much more respect.

[ QUOTE ]
When I started playing NL i played KQo, KJo, KTo, ATo and such hands alot more than I do now. I guess they are mainly good limit hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed - I never played Limit, but while trying to learn it I used SSHE (a limit book) - biiiig mistake. I only tend to play King-broadway hands for a button raise (limpers or no). I will open with ATo but fold to a rase UTG, and reraise with AJo if there are no callers if I have position on PFR. If my button is limped to I am raising with A6o+ to scoop all the limpers and blinds; if I'm called (not often it seems) and an A flops and my cbet gets called, its usually check/fold with weak aces. I think it's +EV.

Back on topic:
[ QUOTE ]
Another option with these stack sizes is to checkraise all-in on the turn, although I don't know if typical players in this game are aggressive enough to make this your best move.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm never purposefully putting my stack in with TPTK without a damn good read that villain is either drawing or calling down with a worse kicker. I don't often have enough information here. I think only worse hands are calling this move.

To the OP: I also like to get only two value bets in with TPTK. I'm check/calling that turn almost every time, be it a continuation bet that improved on the turn to TPTK or otherwise, without a good read that villain is drawing. I think checking the turn makes it easier to control pot size then value betting turn and checking the river. Most villains will take a free card on the turn if they are on the draw. I think it was played fine though. I guess you have to pay him off for only 2/3 pot.