Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-19-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Flopped a straight, now what (and when to raise/cap the river)?

Multitabling, no good reads. I don't remember what he was then but here's my current stats on the SB:
20.61/5.45/1.52 (165 hands)

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Ok, I think this calls for a slow play? Though I was the raiser so maybe I should have bet out.

Turn: (3 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

I still have the nuts, though if the board pairs or a flush comes out I might have a problem.

River: (11 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

I think it's +EV to raise here, if I am raised and lose more than 1/3 of the time it isn't but if I win more than 2/3's of the time I will have +EV (assuming the raise is called, which I think it will be). I still beat a lot of stong hands. Am I strong enough to cap? Then I only have to win more than 1/2 of the time to show a profit (against a stronger set of hands).
Old 12-19-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Flopped a straight, now what (and when to raise/cap the river)?

hmmm....with the turn cap it looks like he slowplayed a flopped set or straight. River raise is definitely correct and I think you can probably cap it here, expecting to see 99-JJ, 87 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] twice as often as a flush.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:18 PM

1) The first rule of Fight Club is: bet the flop.
2) The second rule of Fight Club is: BET THE FLOP.

Turn and river look fine.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:54 PM

I don't like the flop check here. If I lose to runner, runner, then TILT. Maybe the SB will play back at you here, thus greatly reducing the likelihood that he holds a flush draw and allowing you to cap the riv with confidence.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmmm....with the turn cap it looks like he slowplayed a flopped set or straight. River raise is definitely correct and I think you can probably cap it here, expecting to see 99-JJ, 87 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] twice as often as a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this line support a flop bet?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:58 PM

I really don't think we have to worry about a flush on the river given that SB lead the turn. He could have slowplayed a set, the low end of the st, or you're splitting. If he did hit a flush here, I'm paying him off. Cap it.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:02 PM

*grunch*

Bet the flop. You were the PFR and I think everyone was just giving you the change to lead out on the flop.

Turn screams that SB most likely had a hand on the flop and wanted to C/R you. He either hit his set of 9s (JJ or TT is a 3-betting hand though the SBs PFR% is a little low (small sample size I know), so ???), hit 2 pair like 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], or also flopped a straight.

I would probably cap the river not fearing the flush to much and if he turns over 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] tell him NH and move on. Any other flush, he gets a nice little note.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:03 PM

I think a flop check here is ok. There's no flush drawn and we're not forcing out anyone with a gutshot to the top end or an OESD so the protection reason is null. We have the nuts here and I think checking the flop and leading/raising the turn is good because we might get some more bets out of someone who wants to keep chasing.

If we lead the flop, then lead a blanked turn, we might fold some people out of the turn who would otherwise pay us off if we act passive on the flop.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:14 PM

BET THE FLOP. The rest looks fine.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a flop check here is ok. There's no flush drawn and we're not forcing out anyone with a gutshot to the top end or an OESD so the protection reason is null.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem is your rationale is the exact reason you bet, becuase all the people with these draws are going to call.

This is a horribly boring hand as its an easy finger never leaves the bet button, as most 'I flopped the nuts, but have no reads' hands are.