Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Help, I\'m getting raped online (long)

just buy in for 15 or 20 instead of the full 25, and play weak-tight til you add $200 or so to your roll. then you can play your normal game again. this will probably cut your winrate in half, but its almost impossible to have a huge downswing with this style. i do this every time i need to spend a lot of money and my roll gets short.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a great example of why the number of posts someone has, is not a good indicator of how good a player they are.

Playing with a very limited bankroll and playing above his limits. Very very bad.

Take what's left of your bankroll and play .25-50 or .50-$1 until you have 300BB, then move up a level. Stay away from the NL until you have your bankroll in order.

Please do not post any more bad beat griping stories until you are playing 2-4 with at least a $1200 bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must feel really good being a 2/4 limit player on a $1200 bankroll!!! It must feel good being the authority on bankroll management. Go back to calculating pot equity fish.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:02 PM

Chill. I've read your posts and you've got an idea of what's going on. This means that your miles ahead of the vast majority of the NL25 players. Don't buy in short, you're too good for that. I say you take a break for a couple days, then just ride out this 100 dollar wave. The only problem is if you're playing differently now than you were when you ran that 20 to 440. That's bad. Variance is a bitch but you gotta take it in the gut and ride on.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a great example of why the number of posts someone has, is not a good indicator of how good a player they are.

Playing with a very limited bankroll and playing above his limits. Very very bad.

Take what's left of your bankroll and play .25-50 or .50-$1 until you have 300BB, then move up a level. Stay away from the NL until you have your bankroll in order.

Please do not post any more bad beat griping stories until you are playing 2-4 with at least a $1200 bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must feel really good being a 2/4 limit player on a $1200 bankroll!!! It must feel good being the authority on bankroll management. Go back to calculating pot equity fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Send those limit players packing, this is NL territory!!

Seriously he was not griping about anything, just explaining the situation.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Send those limit players packing, this is NL territory!!

Seriously he was not griping about anything, just explaining the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean I shouldn't be playing NL $400 with a $1,200 bankroll? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must feel really good being a 2/4 limit player on a $1200 bankroll!!! It must feel good being the authority on bankroll management

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not mention in my original post how much I have in my poker bankroll. How much I have is nobody's business. I will tell you that I am comfortably funded for the level of games that I play.

The main thing is that I am tired of posters complaining they are running bad and then finding out they are playing with a bankroll of 10 buyins.

Playing short causes all kinds of problems. Playing timid, buying in short, unnecessary ulcers. If there was ever a game invented that punished timid play, it's no limit hold'em.

So Isura take a chill pill. I am right, you know I am right, and I think a direct, no bs response to Orange's post was the best way to get through to him.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:00 PM

I've read through the thread and I really don't understand all your "if my parents let me" crap. I assume you have super-controlling parents who monitor your life and finances. If you're in college, you're probably at least 18, which is old enough to open an account without anyone's permission. More importantly, if you want to play poker without them finding out, you're old enough to open a bank account by yourself. Just deposit the $100 or whatever the bank wants, verify with neteller, and you're good to go. If your parents take every paycheck and every gift from relatives to put in "your" account, there should be plenty of odd jobs and experiments to do around campus to get a little cash.
If you have to use your parents' computer just play when they aren't there/asleep and delete party poker when you're done. They obviously don't investigate your internet practices too thoroughly because you have 1000+ posts here.
Another thing is that at some point, you're going to have to tell your parents in no uncertain terms to go to hell and mind their own business. I'm not saying you should do this over poker, but at some point they're going to have to realize that you're not a bonsai tree whose growth and development is determined years in advance and then forcibly shaped to meet this image. Assuming they're paying for most of college, I would wait until I'm almost done to do this. If you don't, they're going to try to micromanage your life for decades to come.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read through the thread and I really don't understand all your "if my parents let me" crap. I assume you have super-controlling parents who monitor your life and finances. If you're in college, you're probably at least 18, which is old enough to open an account without anyone's permission. More importantly, if you want to play poker without them finding out, you're old enough to open a bank account by yourself. Just deposit the $100 or whatever the bank wants, verify with neteller, and you're good to go. If your parents take every paycheck and every gift from relatives to put in "your" account, there should be plenty of odd jobs and experiments to do around campus to get a little cash.
If you have to use your parents' computer just play when they aren't there/asleep and delete party poker when you're done. They obviously don't investigate your internet practices too thoroughly because you have 1000+ posts here.
Another thing is that at some point, you're going to have to tell your parents in no uncertain terms to go to hell and mind their own business. I'm not saying you should do this over poker, but at some point they're going to have to realize that you're not a bonsai tree whose growth and development is determined years in advance and then forcibly shaped to meet this image. Assuming they're paying for most of college, I would wait until I'm almost done to do this. If you don't, they're going to try to micromanage your life for decades to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother, though a lovely woman, believes poker is not a morally just " " way to make money. Even though I played it thorougly through the summer, she never really thought of it as a way to make money, merely an activity.

Yes, I am 18, soon to be 19. I have not yet talked to my parents about depositing yet, but plan to this winter vacation.

Your advice on telling my parents to [censored] off, well, I don't know if that would be such a good idea at the moment. True, I could easily set up my own poker account/netteller account right away. I could have done that a year ago. But without my parent's consent, I think my education payment could get in the way, which, in my opinion, is more important than poker.

I will present my thoughts to them this break. "It's my money, my decision, my life, etc". And to be honest, if they give me a plausible reason to NOT deposit, and perhaps the results thereof, I probobly won't. I do agree that one day, I will have to put my foot down and tell them to back off. But over poker, and over my education, I don't think is a good idea.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:16 PM

Orange,

Nice to see someone under 21 who has his head on straight. Don't let the haters bother you. If mom and dad are paying for college, I think giving their opinions the respect they deserve is appropriate.