Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: I hate you AT

[ QUOTE ]
Please go to Micros as quickly as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw his other post - there is enough clutter in the Micros already, don't confuse them... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think that someone wouldn't have raised AJ, AQ etc pf if they had it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it depends on the player. A lot of people don't raise these hands pre-flop. Doesn't matter though, you should still raise ATs w/ 5 limpers on the BB.

The fact is, you're not likely dominated here, although you could be. ATs is a solid hand, makes the nut flush and when you make a straight w/ both cards it is the nut straight. The ten gives you a decent kicker that will get paid off by A9 and down.

Yeah, your not gonna win every time here and certainly not more than w/ AK but raising here is definitely a good bet.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:45 PM

I see why A10 gives you trouble when you play it like that.

~ Tilts
Old 07-20-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I get the pre-flop raise, but lets just say that one of the limpers folds and the rest call. How tentative are we on the flop with the ace flop, and people calling a pre-flop raise? Do you bet it out from first position? Check/call? Check raise? I'm a little stuck in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, none of the limpers will fold to your raise. You are raising for value. You are not tentative on the flop. You lead out.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:46 AM

Just want to reiterate that you never, ever play with such a short stack. Unless you like kicking yourself for shortchanging the best hand.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:11 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 04:12 PM

Default mispost earlier

I didnt correctly read the original question. A10 in the BB, I would call, you can try to raise to increase pot equity but I have played against several players who limp on aj or a10 themselves and everyone will clearly call the raise at this level. When the flop comes with the ace, you should bet to try to protect your hand.
cdl
Old 07-21-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really think that someone wouldn't have raised AJ, AQ etc pf if they had it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a 10/20 at the MGM a few weeks ago, where I saw not one, but TWO people fail to raise AA preflop (one out of the SB, another who cold called after a raiser and another cold caller).

Over the course of a week I also saw at least half a dozen AK go unraised preflop.

This isn't a reason to play an AT weakly when you flop an ace. But you do have to be aware that a lot of B&M players play like little girls preflop.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: mispost earlier

We can all agree or disagree on the preflop raise from the Big Blind. Multiway gives you the luxury of picking one or the other depending on your image and the psychology of those at the table. If you never raise from BB except with huge hands (or you give that impression), then I would raise here for sure. If they are loose players that don't fold much after seeing the flop bet, I would probably just call and go for the check raise since the old guy is kind of agressive.

Whatever the preflop scenario, you need to establish the lead on the flop to get the best of this hand, whether that is best done by betting or check/raising is depending on what you think the other players may do.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: mispost earlier

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt correctly read the original question. A10 in the BB, I would call, you can try to raise to increase pot equity but I have played against several players who limp on aj or a10 themselves and everyone will clearly call the raise at this level. When the flop comes with the ace, you should bet to try to protect your hand.
cdl

[/ QUOTE ]

What??? No.

Preflop you're raising because you likely have the best hand, and you definitely have equity. Who cares if these people would limp-call with AQ or AJ, they'll also do it with A9, A8, Kx, and a crapload of hands, some of them almost any 2. Saying you shouldn't raise here is being afraid of the 2 or 3 hands that beat you when someone randomly doesn't raise with them, while completely ignoring the ridiculous amounts of equity you get from worse hands calling you.

After you flop an A, you're not betting to protect your hand, as nobody is folding...you're betting for value.