Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 06:42 PM

Default A Worthless Stud Hi Hand

Pretty sure this is all standard, but since i'm fairly new to just stud hi I want to make sure. Is capping fourth a good idea? Villian was an idiot, as are most 2-4 Stud Hi players, and i figured at best he had 2 pair and I had a gazillion outs to beat that by the river. The river I thought about betting but I thought maybe my read was wrong and he had tripped up since he didn't seem to afraid of my open pair. Comments?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.75 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___raises___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (13.25 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

5th Street - (10.63 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (12.63 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___raises

River - (20.63 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (20.63 BB)
Old 07-07-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: A Worthless Stud Hi Hand

when villian is actively capping 3rd and 4th my instinct says he's rolled up. There's no way the 5 helped him on 4th, so unless he's a total maniac I'd back down and consider folding. Of course it's hard to fold hidden aces on 4th, and I'd probably see the hand further too. But when you make the open pair on 6th, bet and get raised, I'd just call it down and expect to lose. 3betting can't be +EV.

I'm disregarding the chance he also has hidden aces since I believe that's even less likely than being rolled up.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:54 PM

This is 2/4 Stud and from what I am hearing its 'donkey' at times.

His betting suggests he's got something big, but in his mind (if he's a donkey) what is big? (KK,QQ? or doubtfully AA)

Sure he could be tripped up, it happens.

With all the action on 3rd (unusual) and subsequently 4th, I think on 4th you have to make the decision to take it to SD or fold, and if you're taking it to SD I'd be checking and calling to 'stop the bleeding' if I'm in real trouble but I have to look him up.

I would not have bet with Aces up because if he does have trips you only have 3 cards in the deck that can help you, two aces and one 9 (he got the other one).

Cheers,
SDM
Old 07-08-2005, 04:47 AM

What do you people think he has? I'm going for pocket kings or queens. Rolled up tens is also a possibility, but it is a very unlikely one. His aggressive play on early streets indicates a very strong hand, though. I just can't see him checking river with that. What is he afraid of? Any thoughts?

Rozez
Old 07-08-2005, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you people think he has? I'm going for pocket kings or queens. Rolled up tens is also a possibility, but it is a very unlikely one. His aggressive play on early streets indicates a very strong hand, though. I just can't see him checking river with that. What is he afraid of? Any thoughts?

Rozez

[/ QUOTE ]

The sad thing is at 1/2-2/4 the range of hands we can put him on is large. Split tens, rolled up tens, queens, kings....hell it could even be 8s or 7s. I'll say split tens and he wins with a flush?

Edit: I did enjoy seat 3's cold calling 3rd, only to instantly fold 4th.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:36 AM

Why no bet on the river....
Old 07-08-2005, 01:10 PM

I wish I would have after he checked, I thought maybe my read was wrong and that he had triped up.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:45 PM

Tens and fives for the villian on 4th?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:06 PM

Precisely. I ended up winning this with Aces Up. This guy was such an idiot. I was almost positive that is what he had.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:42 PM

I've seen that a lot.