Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: My craziest thought ever

dictionary.com
Old 08-07-2005, 09:39 PM

I don't care about spelling even though I think you are wrong. But why did you avoid my math point?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care about spelling even though I think you are wrong. But why did you avoid my math point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never claimed that googleplex was the correct spelling for the word googolplex. I doubt you even understand the meaning of the word googleplex which has to do with the number of times plex gets googled rather than powers of ten.

Also I did answer the math part. The statement, "and does this a sufficient number of Googleplexes upon Googleplexes" would mean the same thing if "Googleplexes upon Googleplexes" were replaced by "Ones". Or "millions" for that matter. Or even "millions upon millions" if one wished to convey a real whole lot of millions. Are you ok David? You don't seem to be making much sense.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I was a little [censored] up last night and went to the late showing of March of the Penguins. Lets just say that I was doing some really deep thinking throughout the movie.

At some point I realize that given infinite time, many crazy things are possible. Because there are a finite number of combinations for DNA proteins to line up, the exact same person could be created twice. This really blew my mind.

Please respond with your thoughts on this subject, or tell me why it is flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that given any system and a number of variables that could result in any number of possible outcomes, if you let the system develop an infinite amount of times, every possible outcome will occur.

So it would work for DNA strands or hold 'em hands or universes or anything.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:32 PM

"learn some math and spelling"

"i don't care about spelling"

you are a petty little whiner, what are you 12?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:41 PM

sure, on the same theory that if you pur enough monkeys in a room with typewriters for long enough, 1 of them will write all of shakespears works. given enough opportunities, anything can happen.

Which means that, given enough times, someone just like me could be walking around somewhere.

NOW where it get's exciting is that given even MORE chances (so there are a few billions of me walking around in a few billions of whens/wheres) one of them could wind up with someone who's looks just like eva longoria.

Gosh, that's a nice thought. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"learn some math and spelling"

"i don't care about spelling"

you are a petty little whiner, what are you 12?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be too hard on him. I think David was saving up his powers of concentration for the Round of Sixteen Thread, and just resting on this one.

Best Post-Game Interview since the SuperBowl

PairTheBoard
Old 08-08-2005, 02:57 AM

On a completely unrelated sidenote, TStoneMBD.

Best. Avatar. Ever.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:03 AM

one woman and one man given infinite time would eventualy produce copies of children i suppose but i dont think the possibility exists in yur "x generations down the line" example. someone with a better background in biology than me could better explain but there are other factors besides a limited number of ways to line up proteins on a dna strand. i know for example that your dna contains certain markers which are picked up and passed on over time and is a ever increasing list of sorts. for this reason the dna of a person from the 1000's could never be confused with a modern persons dna. i also dont think that a dna strand is any specific finite length and that the arrangment of proteins is the only difference. evolution probably also mucks up the whole thing.

just a common sense example it would seem that if the population was 10. 5 men 5 women. men are black, women are white, that there would be no chance that a person could reapper in any subsequent generation.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Döppelgangers galore

[ QUOTE ]
Given infinite time, many crazy things are possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given infinite anything, everything is possible. Let's not introduce deal-breakers !

[ QUOTE ]
Because there are a finite number of combinations for DNA proteins to line up, the exact same person could be created twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly, and anyone arguing otherwise would be arguing against the premise of life itself!

But as to whether that (physical) duplicate would also turn out to be the same "person" as well (in the sense, of having the same mental and psychological attributes as the "original", in other words the same consciousness), I'm afraid that this would be impossible :

It would require the two copies to have the same physical genalogy (in order to have identical hereditary traits), something that would require either time travle backwards to create a copy family or an experiment that lasts a thousand years into the future and the same living environment from day zero onwards (i.e. identical experiences), which is easier than the other attribute to achieve, but, still, colossally difficult.

Competitive bridge would be tic-tac-toe compared to it...

But doubles are already walking the Earth! Has anyone seen his döppelganger yet ?