Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 02:14 PM

Default How awful was this play? (TPGK Prima 0.10/0.20 NLHE)

Hero: GGrey
Villain: Just_Andy
Reads on villain: Calling station, difficult to bet out.

** Game ID 562505369 starting - 2005-11-01 12:38:41
** Peckham [Hold 'em] (0.10|0.20 No Limit - Cash Game) Real Money

- GGrey sitting in seat 1 with $18.84
- losetall sitting in seat 2 with $5.50
- Just_Andy sitting in seat 3 with $24.28
- drdude33 sitting in seat 4 with $15.30
- Akkilla sitting in seat 5 with $19.99
- cyberzeke sitting in seat 6 with $12.05 [Dealer]

GGrey posted the small blind - $0.10
losetall posted the big blind - $0.20
** Dealing card to GGrey: Queen [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Ace [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Just_Andy called - $0.20
drdude33 folded
Akkilla folded
cyberzeke called - $0.20
GGrey raised - $1.10
losetall folded
Just_Andy called - $1.10
cyberzeke folded

** Dealing the flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Ace [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
GGrey bet - $2.00
Just_Andy called - $2.00

** Dealing the turn: King [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
GGrey bet - $5.00
Just_Andy called - $5.00

** Dealing the river: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
GGrey bet - $1.84
Just_Andy called - $1.84
GGrey shows: Queen [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Ace [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Just_Andy shows: King [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Ace [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Just_Andy wins $19.98 from the main pot

Excuse the miserable river bet, I meant to push, as most of my stack was already invested, but I messed up the decimal place when I was typing out my bet.

Comments, please. Basically I'd like to know WHERE I should have known I was beat, or could I have? Villain limped-called my pf bet, and cold called me straight through.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: How awful was this play? (TPGK Prima 0.10/0.20 NLHE)

If he's a calling station and you think you're ahead here most of the time, then the play is fine, IMO. He could easily have Ax or a hand like QTs. Don't sweat it.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:06 PM

What draw are you protecting against with the turn bet? J9 or 79 are possible, but unlikely. So, with TPWK, why not check the turn and blocking bet the river? You would have won vs a calling station with a weaker A or an underpair, and you would have lost less to AK or better.

Typically, I like checking the turn with a 1-pair hand unless there is a draw heavy board vs a villain that I have seen call down with nothing but a flush draw. Against those guys, I bet another 1/2 pot on the turn and a blocking bet on the river.

Another advantage to checking the turn vs a passive caller on a non-draw board is that they often perceive it as weakness and call your river bet with an underpair expecting you to have missed overcards.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What draw are you protecting against with the turn bet? J9 or 79 are possible, but unlikely. So, with TPWK, why not check the turn and blocking bet the river? You would have won vs a calling station with a weaker A or an underpair, and you would have lost less to AK or better.

Typically, I like checking the turn with a 1-pair hand unless there is a draw heavy board vs a villain that I have seen call down with nothing but a flush draw. Against those guys, I bet another 1/2 pot on the turn and a blocking bet on the river.

Another advantage to checking the turn vs a passive caller on a non-draw board is that they often perceive it as weakness and call your river bet with an underpair expecting you to have missed overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mindset for betting the turn is that I'm always trying to build a pot, even with just top pair/GK. I figured my hand was still best, and with all the terribly loose play going on in the lower limits, I'm afraid of pretty much exactly what happened: Having someone draw out two pair/trips. (Even though in this case I was beaten from beginning to end, I never expected someone to limp/cold call with AK)

For the most part I have given up reading hands in postflop play, because anyone is more than capable of holding anything, almost any time. Unless I'm holding a monster I usually fold to raises/reraises, which is what I was looking for with my barrage of bets.