Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Proper Job Interview attire

I had some Canadian guy show up for an interview with no socks once. He was some minor league or semi-pro hockey player that was looking for a job in the offseason. It was weird because he was dressed very nicely, except when you looked down you saw his hairy ankles.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In many Bay Area SW companies, a SW engineer who even thought to come to the interview in a suit would very likely not be a good fit for the company. On the flip side, when guys show up in ratty jeans and t-shirt, they are starting w/ negative points from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about like a trendy suit with a pattened shirt or something, like a tight black cut, a more patterned shirt, like some sort of clash? Wouldn't that be the safe way to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes at a young company that will be a very nice play and probably exactly what I would do. Especially in an urban area where khakis tend to be frowned upon.

Oh and to whomever mentioned a tie with no coat. Don't ever wear a tie without a coat, it makes you look like a tool.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:15 PM

As others have said, it's best to wear a suit. Normally companies will let you know beforehand if they expect something other than a suit. Bay Area/San Diego area companies are less likely to require suits, and in those cases, it is not unfair to ask what their normal dress code policy is. If you're interviewing with a pharmaceutical company or in the northeast...wear a suit...don't even think of asking. When in doubt, wear a suit, your odds of getting rejected for a job for being underdressed are far greater than being rejected for overdressing.

-dustyn
Old 10-27-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In many Bay Area SW companies, a SW engineer who even thought to come to the interview in a suit would very likely not be a good fit for the company. On the flip side, when guys show up in ratty jeans and t-shirt, they are starting w/ negative points from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about like a trendy suit with a pattened shirt or something, like a tight black cut, a more patterned shirt, like some sort of clash? Wouldn't that be the safe way to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Real engineers would probably laugh you right out of the joint.

Now, if it's full-on retro 70s style, hmmmmm.....
Old 10-27-2005, 09:38 PM

I had a job interview today, my first after 18 months of doing essentially nothing. (At least, nothing that'd go on my resume. I've done a fair amount of coding in that time, but just because it was work I found interesting.) I wore a dark blue dress shirt, dress slacks, and dress shoes, and that was fine. They loved me. The interview was at a smallish company in Southern California - 130 people or so, but that includes engineering, manufacturing and sales. The software department's around a tenth of that. Standard dress appears to be what I was wearing or slightly more casual. (Short sleeves were ok, but rare, everyone's shirt had buttons. No one outside of manufacturing was wearing jeans.)

If I'd shown up in a suit, I think they'd have looked at me funny. Inspired by this thread, I actually talked to the HR person for a bit about appropriate dress in an interview, and she basically said what's already been posted here. You can overdress and you can underdress - underdressing's probably worse, but neither's great.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Real engineers would probably laugh you right out of the joint.

Now, if it's full-on retro 70s style, hmmmmm.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nahh, I think the bigger concern would be reminding them of the kids that picked on em in school. I assume by real engineer you mean socially inept nerd.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to be treated like a king, you should dress like the King.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the first camel toe I have ever seen on on a man. Id def go with the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

This image frightens me.

Oh, I went with a suit and no tie. I was overdressed but it was no biggie.