Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Poker is an American game

[ QUOTE ]

link:
Many Jazz writers have pointed out that the non-Jazz elements from which Jazz was formed, the Blues, Ragtime, Brass Band Music, Hymns and Spirituals, Minstrel music and work songs were ubiquitous in the United States and known in dozens of cities. Why then, they reason, should New Orleans be singled out as the sole birthplace of Jazz? These writers are overlooking one important factor that existed only in New Orleans, namely, the black Creole subculture.

The Creoles were free, French and Spanish speaking Blacks, originally from the West Indies, who lived first under Spanish then French rule in the Louisiana Territory. They became Americans as a result of the Louisiana Purchase of 1803 and Louisiana statehood in 1812. The Creoles rose to the highest levels of New Orleans society during the 19th century. They lived in the French section of the city east of Canal Street and became prominent in the economic and cultural life of the section.

The Creole musicians, many of whom were Conservatory trained in Paris, played at the Opera House and in chamber ensembles. Some led the best society bands in New Orleans. They prided themselves on their formal knowledge of European music, precise technique and soft delicate tone and had all of the social and cultural values that characterize the upper class.

The one thing these all had in common? American culture developed them into their modern forms, but they all had their history elsewhere in the world

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

Jazz is American Buddy. And it's not even close. Of course it has influences that originated elsewhere. Name something on Earth that doesn't.

Poker, in its popular forms, is American. No one asked if they played cards in Persia with a 25 card deck once. Poker, you know, 52 cards, betting rounds, draw, Hold-em, Omaha, Stud, is American.

Should there be a national anthem at the world series of poker? Who cares!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: \"World Series\" means something else in the US

[ QUOTE ]
they're just self-centered enough to call they're national leagues and tournaments "world series" and the champions of their national championships "world champions".

So what should be troubling you is not the national anthem on a international event, the problem is that they call a national event "world series".

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could simply realize that, the NBA champions, for example, are the best club basketball team in the world by far, and thus the WORLD CHAMPIONS. You could just realize, for example, that the Major league baseball champs are the best club team in the world by far, and thus, WORLD CHAMPIONS.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: American national anthem at WSOP main event???

"godawful pretentious title" is a little over the top. I'm guessing the title "WSOP" comes from MLB World Series which dates back over 100 years to 1903. The WSOP started in 1970 as an invite only. This article from Card Player will give you a little more insight. I don't think the originators of either World Series were trying to offending any one. There maybe plenty to dislike about America and Americans, but on this subject it's pretty easy to defend.

http://www.cardplayer.com/cpcollege/...le.php?a_id=38
Old 09-20-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing the title "WSOP" comes from MLB World Series which dates back over 100 years to 1903.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right--for a while, the Super Bowl of Poker was the number two tournament on the circuit.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The best baseball teams in the world are in the Major Leagues. Thus the winner of the World Series is the best team in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

By that logic we could (at least in periods) call the Norwegian cross-country skiing championship the "World Series of Skiing."
We don't, because that would be stupid.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: \"World Series\" means something else in the US

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
Or you could simply realize that, the NBA champions, for example, are the best club basketball team in the world by far, and thus the WORLD CHAMPIONS. You could just realize, for example, that the Major league baseball champs are the best club team in the world by far, and thus, WORLD CHAMPIONS.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not going to argue with you - MLB and NBA are the strongest leagues in their sports. But still, the WS winner could lose a 7-game series to the winner of the Japan league, although the MLB team would probably be the favourites.

I think playing the host nations anthem at the WSOP is perfectly fine. As would playing the anthem of the country of the winner (Australia this year) at the prize giving ceremony, for example (Don't know if they did that?)

This reminds me of a John Cleese joke (and I include it here because I think it's funny, not to mock anyone) - around the time of the Clinton/Lewinsky debacle:

There are three reasons it's better to be British than American:

1) They speak English
2) When they host the World Championships, they invite other countries
3) When you visit the head of state, you only have to go down on one knee.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm about two months too late with this post, but is it really true that the Main Event of the World Series of Poker was started with a singing of the American national anthem?

It seems incredibly inappropriate for a supposedly international event (World != America) whatever country it's held in. And how did non-US participants react?

I don't like to go to other countries and behave in a manner to cause offence so I probably would've quietly slipped outside. But how +EV and tilt-inducing would it be to simply ignore everyone standing up singing and mutter anti-American slogans?

[/ QUOTE ]

How +EV would it be as you were carted off to the hospital after my big ass knocked all of your teeth out? You're in America, DEAL WITH IT!!! If I was in Canada I wouldn't care one bit standing up for a few minutes, whoopie.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree whole heartedly! Everyone is talking about how Poker deserves to be treated more like other events etc. Traditionally during sporting events (I am not going to debate whether poker is a sport) the National Anthem of the host country is sung.

Unless they have recently moved Las Vegas to another country and not informed me, it is held in the USA, so if and I say if a National Anthem is going to be sung then is should be ours and not say Australia's for Joe Hachem.

What's the big deal? If you go to say Paris for the WPT and they want to sing the French National Anthem, I certainly would not be offended.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:17 AM

To a European watching American patriotism is like watching your parents kiss. I'm sure many are physically sick.

Just because an event is at X, doesn't mean the X national anthem should be played. Honestly it would be like Greece playing their national anthem before every event at the olympics. I can assure you they did not. It is crass, it is unnecessary, it's the American way.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:27 AM

You could and nobody would care!
Old 09-20-2005, 11:29 AM

If I were in a foreign country at any event, I would consider myself a guest and act accordingly.