Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Question for those who have played Foxwoods

I usually go to Foxwoods and play either 1/2 NL or the new 2/4 NL. The games are very good, but I would like to start playing limit there as well. I've heard from a few people that the 4/8 game is a joke and that I'd be better off playing 5/10 or 10/20. The 5/10 game with a full kill seems to be my best option. I would feel comfortable with the buy-in and stakes. I feel like the 10/20 is a bit over my head.

How does the full kill affect the 5/10 game? How does the 10/20 compare to the 5/10? FWIW I've played 6/12 in AC and done fairly well over a small sample size. I also play 1/2 and 2/4 full, with some 3/6 mixed in online. I'm getting 1.5-2bb/100 4 tabling.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Durs
Old 07-11-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Question for those who have played Foxwoods

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard from a few people that the 4/8 game is a joke and that I'd be better off playing 5/10 or 10/20

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh...

The difference in quality of play between 4/8 5/10 and 10/20 is negligible with the exception of some weekend mornings. For the most part, all games at Foxwoods are loose/passive. But, IMO, if you think 4/8 is a joke because it's too loose I would guess you are a dog to beat that game longterm. If you think it is a joke for some other reason then I apologize in advance.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard from a few people that the 4/8 game is a joke and that I'd be better off playing 5/10 or 10/20

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh...

The difference in quality of play between 4/8 5/10 and 10/20 is negligible with the exception of some weekend mornings. For the most part, all games at Foxwoods are loose/passive. But, IMO, if you think 4/8 is a joke because it's too loose I would guess you are a dog to beat that game longterm. If you think it is a joke for some other reason then I apologize in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think its a joke. I've never played or watched it. I heard this from a few people that I played MTTs with on a few trips. I believe they said it was a joke because of the rake but we didn't really get into it.

Durs
Old 07-11-2005, 02:59 PM

I got flamed for airing my opinion on the 5-10 Kill once before, which is strange - a person's opinion is just that, an opinion. Anyway here goes...

I've played 2/4, 4/8, 5/10, and 10/20 at Foxwoods and found the 5/10 Kill game to be the most frustrating. I won, but the swings can be very big because people will play any two cards. This increases the odds of bad beats and makes reading hands pretty close to impossible. You will win when you show down the best hand. Play very, very tight and you'll get the money. Strangely enough, I find the 10/20 game to be the most fun and most profitable.

Bill
Old 07-11-2005, 03:01 PM

10-20 doesn't play much bigger than 5-10 kill, esp. if pots are killed frequently at the lower game. I've only played these a few times (waiting for 20-40), but the 10-20 is always soft and passive. I would think one rack should be plenty most of the time for one session...take a shot and see how it goes.

Jeff
Old 07-11-2005, 03:40 PM

I'll add another opinion to the chorus (which is adding up to be quite muddled):

The 5-10 is an excellent game. I think Foxwoods exhibits a kind of three-tier pattern in the hold'em games that affects the quality of players at different levels:

Tier 1: The Yellow Chip Games

The 2-4 is obviously full of horrible players and should probably be avoided if possible due to the prohibitive rake structure.

The 4-8 in my opinion has MUCH better players than the 2-4. This is not really saying much, just that you'll rarely find a half-competent player at 2-4 (they know better) but you'll find one or two at a given 4-8. I think the reason is that players "promote" from the 2-4 to the 4-8; 4-8 is populated by players who have played a little bit and have gotten some confidence to move up levels.

Tier Two: The Little Red Chips

In general, I think a similar effect occurs at the next level: the 5-10 players tend to be much weaker than the 10-20 players. As people have noted, the games play fairly similarly in stakes, and so I think a lot of the difference between the two levels comes from the general psychological effect of 5-10 seeming to be a smaller game. The kill also tends to induce good action. In my experience, there are plenty of 4-8 tables that play tougher than some 5-10 tables, as the 4-8 tables will often be full of the "best" yellow chip players and the 5-10 tables full of the "worst" red chip players.

The 10-20 similarly tends to be full of promoted 5-10 players who don't have the roll/confidence for 20-40. The 10-20 can be very rocky at times and less lucrative than a juicy 5-10 on a $/hr basis.

Tier 3: 20-40

Interestingly, there is only one tier three game. Hence, it gets a combination of the bad and the good at that level. The 20-40 (from what I hear... I've only played up to 10-20 at F'Woods) has the strongest players in the room and also bunches of weak players who have plenty of money and want to play recreationally in as big a game as possible.

Let me know what you guys think of this read.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:50 PM

I would agree with the three teir system at Foxwoods. although at the 10-20 tables you will find usually find one or two very good players. With 4-8 and 5-10, most 4-8 games are tougher than 5-10, I think too many young fish like walking around with red chips so they play the lowest red chip game. Also, in KILL pots, players tend to make ridiculous decisions, like "I would call if it weren't a kill pot". Obviouslyt the idea that pot odds are not affected by the limit did not enter this guy's head. I just started playing 20-40. Here, you're looking at 5 or 6 guys who play very well, and all know each other. These guys obviously play for a living, so buyer beware on the 20-40 game.