Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: $55: Interesting trend I\'ve noticed recently

I only play $10+1's so your mileage may wary, but the other day I had a hand where I felt the opponent had only high cards and I went all-in on a bluff. He then thought for a while, called me with Q high and called me an idiot for making what he referred to as "the partypoker out-of-nowhere all-in". So the past couple of days I've experimented with going all-in with big hands instead of betting a reasonable amount and I've had great success with it.

Example:

***** Hand History for Game 2819208001 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Trny:16297473 Level:2 Blinds(15/30) - Monday, October 03, 17:25:04 EDT 2005
Table Table 11206 (Real Money)
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 3: player4 ( $725 )
Seat 4: button ( $450 )
Seat 5: SB ( $830 )
Seat 6: Villain ( $1035 )
Seat 7: player1 ( $925 )
Seat 8: player2 ( $700 )
Seat 9: Hero ( $2265 )
Seat 10: player3 ( $1070 )
Trny:16297473 Level:2
Blinds(15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Jh Qs ]
player1 folds.
player2 folds.
Hero calls [30].
player3 folds.
player4 calls [30].
button calls [30].
SB folds.
Villain checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Tc, As, 3s ]
Villain checks.
Hero checks.
player4 checks.
button checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ Kd ]
Villain bets [40].
Hero is all-In.
player4 folds.
button folds.
Villain is all-In.
** Dealing River ** [ Kh ]
Villain shows [ Ac, 5d ] two pairs, aces and kings.
Hero shows [ Jh, Qs ] a straight, ten to ace.
Hero wins 1230 chips from side pot #1 with a straight, ten to ace.
Hero wins 2145 chips from the main pot with a straight, ten to ace.
Villain finished in eighth place.
Villain has left the table.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:55 PM

I've been experimenting with my early game and the betting strategies lately. I primarily play the $55's. I'm on another computer, so I don't have the HH's right now, but I've been overbetting my monsters with success lately. Primarily suited connectors that make the flush or straight.

One pattern was a suited connector late position limp, 2 early callers. Low ragged board which made me open-ended. Checked to me on the flop, I hesitate, and then min-bet. 2 calls. Turn completes my straight. Again checked to me, again hesitate and min-bet. 2 calls. Flop is high card. Checked to me, I hesitate, then push all-in. One caller, TPGK.

I like this pattern, because it looks like a bluff to loose callers, and you get paid off with sets, TP, and sometimes even mid-pair. The times that everyone folds and you don't get any value from your hand are more than made up for by the times you get called.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:57 PM

Why would you be bluff pushing flops?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been experimenting with my early game and the betting strategies lately. I primarily play the $55's. I'm on another computer, so I don't have the HH's right now, but I've been overbetting my monsters with success lately. Primarily suited connectors that make the flush or straight.

One pattern was a suited connector late position limp, 2 early callers. Low ragged board which made me open-ended. Checked to me on the flop, I hesitate, and then min-bet. 2 calls. Turn completes my straight. Again checked to me, again hesitate and min-bet. 2 calls. Flop is high card. Checked to me, I hesitate, then push all-in. One caller, TPGK.

I like this pattern, because it looks like a bluff to loose callers, and you get paid off with sets, TP, and sometimes even mid-pair. The times that everyone folds and you don't get any value from your hand are more than made up for by the times you get called.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I totally agree, although I have noticed that when someone hesitates (takes longer than normal to bet) it is usually something strong if not the nuts.

It is funny to because a good player will call you just as fast as a bad one. The good player sees you betting crazy for no reason other than to drive everyone out. And the bad player just calls anyway.

JJ
Old 10-03-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not go on about that lol. It was given as an example of a trend I have seen lately. The point to this thread is should we be pushing monsters, seeing as people give you little or no credit for a hand.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I totally agree, although I have noticed that when someone hesitates (takes longer than normal to bet) it is usually something strong if not the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or they are multi-tabling...

To add to the "database": I was watching three $55s to get a feel for how the play was, I had noticed several all-ins early. One had a draw, the other had TP Varying Kicker. It was a couple of weeks ago so I don't remember who did the pushing and who did the calling.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't, but at the lower levels that's how people bust so quick. (not bluffing but pushing flush draws, oesd's, and mid-pair)
Old 10-03-2005, 10:05 PM

How about the bluff-call? Tonight on a Pokerstars $11 SnG, a fish called an all-in bet on the river in level 1, only to turn over an A high. (He had over 1,000 chips at this point.)
Old 10-03-2005, 10:29 PM

Moderately sized bets are respected much more than the big ones. If I really believe I am up against another hand, I will overbet, and I get paid off often. It's not in an SNGers arsenal to lay down to overbets when he catches a flop.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Moderately sized bets are respected much more than the big ones. If I really believe I am up against another hand, I will overbet, and I get paid off often. It's not in an SNGers arsenal to lay down to overbets when he catches a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the point I am trying to make.