Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: B&M compared to Online, psychology

[ QUOTE ]
Just finished second in a single-table sng online. It was a joy to play the tournament because the players were actually paying attention and not just throwing money in. If
they were beaten they actually folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also much prefer playing against pros rather than suckers!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just finished second in a single-table sng online. It was a joy to play the tournament because the players were actually paying attention and not just throwing money in. If
they were beaten they actually folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would scare the hell out of me. If players are folding when they are beaten, I might have to quite playing poker.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:00 AM

In my experience the biggest difference between online play and B&M play is all that extra effort you have to put forth in B&M to pick up your cards. It's so much easier to just look at the screen and click the mouse. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS - While this post is somewhat joking, I often argue with other poker players that this difference is bigger than picking up on physical tells (this is because they put way way way too much weight on physical tells and that is their justification for not playing online, oh well).
Old 08-28-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Thanks for the comments

I've enjoyed your comments to my post. I'm curious why someone wrote "go figure all his posts are in the WPT forum", of course meaning me. Does that fact that I do play
mostly for the enjoyment of the game and not to fleece suckers mean that I shouldn't post to that forum?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Thanks for the comments

I was only implying that you seem more interested in the romance and drama of poker, rather than the day to day, nuts and bolts, nose to the grindstone, cliche', cliche', mechanics you need to apply to be a long term success.

The meat of your comment suggested that you have very little experience on the tables, as you contradicted the thoughts of every experienced player here.

You DON'T want them to fold. You WANT them to chase the draws. Them folding when you're ahead is a BAD thing.

You post that you've read much poker literature, but, respectfully, I suggest you re-read these publications and really apply yourself to comprehension. Not just comprehension of the words, but more importantly of the underlying principles and objectives in any given situation.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Thanks for the comments

Maybe I'm like some other people who have good lives(good job,marriage etc.) who think they can just read a book or 2, start playing and win. Frankly, I didn't think the variance would be so high and the players would be even more "fishy". When I was a kid and played 7-card stud with my uncles, they made the same mistakes year after year. They may as well have played with the cards face up!