Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2003, 08:44 AM

Default PokerStars Freeroll NL

Grrr.

down to 16 players. top 9 get seat in freeroll tourney with small ca$h payout.

chip leader has >600K i have 250K. Blinds are 6K/12K with $400 antes. I am in BB and get QQ. Cutoff (with ~550K) raises to 24K and i raise another 30K. she reraises 30K and i push in. she calls and shows KK. i get no help and IGHN.

Is there a better way to play QQ in this spot? was my initial reraise too small? should i just drop it and hope to coast in to the top 9? or wait for a hand to pick up the blinds?

all comments appreciated. I was chip leader at one point, by a huge margin. i really thought i had a good shot at the top 9, so i was a bit disappointed.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:22 PM

Default Re: PokerStars Freeroll NL

How many chips are in play? Or alternatively, what is an average payoff stack? How big are the small stacks? Your decision depends sensitively on these answers.

Craig
Old 11-14-2003, 02:53 PM

i guess that means i should pay more attention to this.

the small stacks at my table: probably 4 stacks less than 100K from ~20K to ~80K

1 stack at the 200K mark, me with 250K, one stack with ~350K and cutoff with ~580K.

i am guessing?? similar stacks at the other table.

care to comment on the way these stack sizes should influence my decision?

is there a good reason to lay this down preflop?
Old 11-14-2003, 02:58 PM

Given this, I think a preflop fold is obvious, unless big stack is way loose. I don't think I could fold to one raise though, but the rereraise means I am at best a coin flip. Probably a bigger raise is in order since you were making almost a minimum raise as it was. How many players entered?
Old 11-14-2003, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a better way to play QQ in this spot? was my initial reraise too small? should i just drop it and hope to coast in to the top 9? or wait for a hand to pick up the blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

A bigger raise isn't going to push KK out so in this situation a bigger raise isn't going to make any difference. Had you any read on what the CO would raise or reraise with? AA, KK and AK are all likely...AA and KK are big winners and while AK is behind, it has a decent shot. It is difficult to know how close you are to being able to coast into the money without knowing what chip position you were in or at least an estimate.

Old 11-14-2003, 03:47 PM

The size of the other stacks, etc is important as this is effectively a satellite. The top 9 progress so as long as you're still in when #10 busts.

If you are comfortably placed generally everything is folded if heat is put on you. Heck I folded AA AK and JJ in a recent super satellite when 5/12 with 9 seats [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2003, 04:25 PM

i didn't have a good read on cutoff. the tables had just been consolidated down to 2.

there were 2683 entries, i believe. somewhere >2600.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:32 PM

Given the opponents stack sizes and the fact that is a satellite, you should probably fold. Since you are not currently in danger, you don't really want any confrontations with a big stack.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:33 PM

If you started with 1500, this means there are ~4Mil chips in play. Average final table stack ~450K. In this case, there are only ~1.6M chips at your table, so the other table has 2.4M. Given that, you are not a lock for a seat unless this 2.4M is very unevenly distributed (like one or more 1M stacks). If you are not a lock, you have a tough decision between folding (calling no bets), and probably playing for all your stack. Read, even an unsure one, on cutoff is needed to tip one way or the other.

Craig