Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Rivarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reads: UTG+2 limper is an idiot. Possible maniac postflop. Earlier went 3 river bets, 3 turn bets, and 2 flop bets with me with K9o on a AKT32 board after I raised preflop.

3 limpers. Two are loose-passive (UTG and Button). SB completes. I check A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. Sometimes I raise this. Not this time.

The flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Sometimes I checkraise. This time I bet. UTG calls. UTG+2 raises. Button calls two cold. SB folds. I 3-bet. UTG calls. UTG+2 calls. Button calls.

The turn is the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet. UTG calls. UTG+2 raises. Button calls two. I 3-bet. UTG calls. UTG+2 caps. Button calls. I call. UTG calls.

The river is the 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, intending to fold if UTG bets and UTG+2 raises or UTG+2 bets and Button raises -- but intending to checkraise if UTG+2 bets and Button calls. I intend to call one bet no matter what.

Sound about right?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Rivarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yep, hopefully UTG has a smaller two pair and button has a busted straight or something.

if it checks around to the button, could he bet a worse hand? if so you might want to raise. thats the only variation i can see with this whole hand.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:22 PM

I like your plan except check-raising seems like overkill, especially since UTG could be trying to check-raise the maniac here which would obviously be the right play for him if he hit the flush.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:43 PM

I like it, you want to call the river for only 1 bet. I don't really see the point of checkraising though... just call.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:27 AM

Isn't this a nasty flop to 3-bet?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:34 AM

How about call the flop raise and donk/3-bet a nice turn?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this a nasty flop to 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given my relative position I didn't think I had much ability to do anything to protect (I could be wrong). Bet-call and bet-3bet the turn would be great if I can count on UTG+2 to raise again, but OOP I didn't know if I could really count on him cooperating with me given the fact that he would often be willing to raise as little as a gutshot with no pair outs but wouldn't raise it on the turn unless he hit. If he has a pair, he's usually willing to go to the felt though.

Usually I'll be able to checkraise the turn but not always, and even then, it's still trapping one person for one bet while protecting against the other -- and it's giving the opportunity for a free card.

Given all the variables involved in attempting protection, I decided to just start my flop pounding mission. I'm offering 13:2 with the very real possibility of a cap, so it still offers some degree of protection against gutshot draws, etc.

I'm also going to have to look at the hand again because I posted JT9 but I remember thinking at the time that it was J98. It was definitely definitely coordinated but I don't think it was a threestraight.

Rob